Steel weight per foot ?

/ Steel weight per foot ? #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
I have searched the net looking for a site that would have a chart that would tell me how much a odd shape piece of steel weighs per foot.

I have five of these 12 foot long square tubes that came with homestead and the scrap in the back yard . I now hope to use a couple of these for roof beams for a 12 foot wide implement shed.
Right now they are buried under a fair bit of stuff but I hope to pull them out with tractor and see if I can lift them to the bucket height my Kubota BX2660 allows me to (post and beam style building)

These square tubes are 8 inch square , and quarter inch thick steel 12 feet long.
Only one is 6 inch square and quarter inch thick steel , still 12 feet long.

Any one know any website I could figure the overall weight of these ? I hate to just use these as "pallet holders up off on the ground" , when they could be used in a future implement shed roof even if it is just the smaller one.

/ Steel weight per foot ? #2  

8x8 x 1/4 thk = 25.82 lbs/ft

6x6 x 1/4 thk = 19.02 lbs/ft

source, Ryerson catalog.

For websites, try:

onlinemetals.com

discountsteel.com

allmetals.com

/ Steel weight per foot ? #3  
I would consider saving this square tubing for equipment and implement builds rather than use it for a roof. That stuff is very expensive to buy and is way overkill for a shed.