Steel vs Aluminum frame horse/stock trailer

/ Steel vs Aluminum frame horse/stock trailer #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
The wife is looking for a 2 horse trailer and is having to decide between steel or aluminum frames. It will definitely have an aluminum skin. We are pulling this with an F-150 so the lighter aluminum frame will be nice but not a deal breaker. Some comments she has heard is the aluminum frame might not hold up to an upset horse as well as a steel frame will. We are also in upstate NY so road salt does take a toll. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with aluminum vs steel framed trailers?

/ Steel vs Aluminum frame horse/stock trailer #2  
200 to 400 pounds is all you will save with aluminum. Get the trailer that works for you no matter what its made of.

Chris

/ Steel vs Aluminum frame horse/stock trailer #3  
You wont even feel a two horse behind your truck. Buy the trailer that has the best features and don't worry about the weight. Make sure it comes with a spare tire. Sitting on the side of the road with a horse trailer without a spare is something you want to avoid.

/ Steel vs Aluminum frame horse/stock trailer #4  
Two questions:

What is the cost difference between the steel frame and the aluminum frame models?

How long do you intend to own the trailer?

As others pointed out, the difference in weight doesn't really matter much, but if you plan to keep the trailer a long time, paying the extra premium for an aluminum frame model may offset the headache of dealing with rust.

/ Steel vs Aluminum frame horse/stock trailer #5  
If you have read the various threads on trailers on this site, you should have picked up on metal prep and paint quality. The same holds true for horse trailers. Even well known and respected names can disappoint if you take the time to look underneath. As with anything, do your homework.

Aluminum, while it may not rust can oxidize. As far as holding up should you flip one, the frame would not worry me anymore than the shell. I would be more concerned with the floor construction.

I would also recommend comparing fit and finish on various makes. For a two horse, I assume a straight load? Escape door? Tack area? How easy is it to secure the butt bars etc. Sharp wires left on the welds? Ramp or step up? How high of a step and is the bumper rubber covered to prevent injury? Tire size, load rating, brand?

/ Steel vs Aluminum frame horse/stock trailer #6  
They make 600mph jumbo jets out of aluminum. I think it can handle an upset horse::)

/ Steel vs Aluminum frame horse/stock trailer #7  
Salt and urine play havoc with aluminum, unless anodized, so I'd tend to prefer steel.
A trailer that was anodized would tend to be very pricy.

/ Steel vs Aluminum frame horse/stock trailer #8  
Salt and urine doesn't play havoc with steel?

/ Steel vs Aluminum frame horse/stock trailer #9  
I had a horse kick the back door on my Featherlite 9607 2 horse straight load. It bent the door out 2". Id rather have the trailer "give" than a horses leg. Trailers can be fixed, horses legs no so much. :thumbdown:

How often would you haul in the winter? That could rule out a salt issue.

/ Steel vs Aluminum frame horse/stock trailer #10  
Our horses weigh 1400 pounds. Our 3 horse Sundowner holds up fine.