Steel Cutting Chop Saw

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw #11  
I built one from scratch using an Evolution 14" saw blade, including the vise. Cuts very nicely or used to until I pulled a dumb move and ruined the blade. On mine, I made it so the entire head rotates from 0 to 45 degree by simply loosening a lever, rotate the head and tight it back on. It has a 1.5 HP 3 phase electric motor.

It's a bit noisy and throws stuff everywhere but cuts indeed very well. If I were to build another one, I would have used a band saw blade instead of a circular saw blade.

IMG_20210227_145319.jpg
IMG_20210227_172833.jpg
IMG_20210227_174041.jpg

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw #12  
I have one of these

Made in usa.

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw #13  
   / Steel Cutting Chop Saw #14  
Bought a Fein Slugger saw 2-3 years ago to cut a lot of tubing. Faster, more accurate, burr free cuts. Need to take off an extra 1/16? No problem. Try that with a bandsaw. Cut a lot of cold rolled plate and bar stock. Long blade life. First blade dulled after cutting some 6” SS round tubing. Can be sharpened but haven’t done that yet.

Long blade life contributed to by adding MK Morse vise jaws from the start and watching their video on how to use a cold cut saw. Vibration and too much pressure kills blades. They fit many saws with no modifications.

Just checked prices…saws and jaws almost doubled!?! ZORO tools had the best price at the time.

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw #16  
If you anticipating TRIMMING short pieces, pay attention to the vise. The kind with a swiveling moving jaw won't safely clamp on a piece not long enough to extend to the left of its pivot. One work-around is to add a block to the left side of the pivot, the same thickness as your workpiece. But a vise like ptsg's in post #11 is handier.

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw #17  
The Evolution S344CPSL includes a V block with the saw. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...-4da3-96c6-97fc769f81e6_900x.jpg?v=1578414501

They have a YT video explaining how to use the V block to cut material for the longest blade life.

That’s good information. Read many mixed reviews on blade life before purchase.

Making miter and cutting small parts often have to move or adjust the jaws. Easy enough to do with two cap screws.

Still use my bandsaws and best for many cuts. Cold cut saw is very easy to set up on the welding bench to quickly cut out a project then move out of the way.

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw #18  
It is a good idea to plan the order of cuts to avoid cutting short pieces if possible.

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw #19  
Personally I have a Dewalt abrasive chop saw and it does fine for my needs...I got it becasue I was unsure of what my needs were going to be, but it has done everything I asked it to do.... Only negative, is it showers hot sparks and metal down on concrete and stains/scorches concrete unless I put something down to protect concrete because I usually have it setting on ground when in use.... IF uses over gravel or rocks it does not have that problem.... With my 20/20 hind sight I think I would have been happier with a cold cut saw, but the difference in price at the time was also a factor.... Actually I do more cutting with my 4x6 band saw than with chop saw, but chop saw wins if I have to move saw to material (as long has I have power) than to move material to saw.... Also shop environment where saw is going to live has some effect on what may be best for you...

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw #20  
You'll love the accuracy of the cold saw. I bought a Makita, which has a smaller blade then the Dewalt or Evolution, but it cuts are the pipe, tubing and angle sizes I deal with. It will truly cut a 45 degree angle, which is great for making gates etc.