Steel carport to monitor barn question

/ Steel carport to monitor barn question #1  

MinnesotaEric

Tractor
Kioti NX6010
The property I purchased to develop used to be lovers lane and my neighbors have cautioned me on leaving things out during the school year for fear of theft and vandalism.

As a result, I've decided to bring in a 40' high cube cargo container, the most boring and yet secure structure I can think of that I can drive my tractor into and ditch it while I'm not around along with all kinds of other stuff.

However, I also want to build a 30' wide by 40' long by 12' carport with a 5/12 roof pitch and three foot overhangs to get my collection of trailers out of the sun. Eventually I'd like to add a 4/12 shed roof which would cover the cargo container and make a monitor style barn building for equipment storage and extensive tinkering. I think i like the idea of steel construction because a steel building won't need as many support posts as a pole building but I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

Anybody have a north central steel building OEM they like?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Something kind of like this.

inspiration-exterior-strikking-pole-building-framing-with-wooden-materials-as-inspiring-pole-barn-homes-building-constructions-ideas-distinctive-pole-barn-homes-ideas-and-pictures-collection.JPG

/ Steel carport to monitor barn question #2  
We take delivery Monday 12/29 of a 2000sq ft building from Armstrong Steel. The contractor chose them after some research. I'll let you know what I think of it as the project progresses.

Attachments

• barn compound2.jpg
    barn compound2.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 397
   / Steel carport to monitor barn question #3  
What about using a second 40' container in parallel as sides for a barn with an enclosure between them? There are a couple of threads here on TBN where people have done that.

/ Steel carport to monitor barn question #4  
I have a 40 foot metal container that I'm using for storage right now with plans to add on to one side of it. The container will be one of my walls. I'm going to build 36 feet wide and add eight feet of length to make it 48 feet deep. I want three bays for parking everything including my backhoe in the center bay. I will use PT 6x6 posts every 8 feet and 16 foot long 2x6's for my purlins every two feet. Then cover is OSB and Hardi Lap Siding with a metal roof.

If you really like the monitor barn design, then you might consider doing what I'm doing by using the container for the overhang portion. Build your center section of the barn as big as you can, then later on you can add the other overhang on for additional storage.

Eddie

/ Steel carport to monitor barn question #5  
Cant help you with the steel part....but all i can say is, build as big as your wallet allows. When i build my shop, i figured 30x50 is more then i need, and it was for about 1 year. If i was to do it again, it would be much bigger and it would also have a higher ceiling, like14 feet maybe, so i can get a carlift in there.
I personally dont care for pole barns, as i dont think much of having posts in the ground and much rather have concrete footings/foundation. Another thing that i would do is, instead of a unit heater, i'd go with floor heating and might just put a pit in it while i'm at it.
Just my 2cents....
Almost forgot.....i'd also install a washroom!!!

/ Steel carport to monitor barn question
We take delivery Monday 12/29 of a 2000sq ft building from Armstrong Steel. The contractor chose them after some research. I'll let you know what I think of it as the project progresses.

That would be helpful as Armstrong is on my list of folks to talk to. I'm thinking steel as we had a number of pole buildings blow out under snow loads last year.

/ Steel carport to monitor barn question
What about using a second 40' container in parallel as sides for a barn with an enclosure between them? There are a couple of threads here on TBN where people have done that.

The is exactly what I want to do. The containers hang out under the shed roofs and a large, wide building is between the two. In my mind 30x40x12 feet high.

Think of a free standing 30x40 carport or park building. Then shove two 40' containers along side. Then two shed roofs are added that cover the containers. Then siding is added later.

We end up with what looks like a monitor barn building with a center spot large enough and high enough for my tinkerage needs.

What i don't want to do or be is that neighbor with junk all over playing yard bingo with his rusting possessions.

Especially so since i'm starting to round the wagons around the idea of making my development into campgrounds, then as time progresses tiny house rentals, then as time progresses, a larger assisted living facility. The perimeter of my land is a little over one mile and 1/2" of that is along a lake offering good walking.

/ Steel carport to monitor barn question #8  
Originally my plan was to place the 20' Conex boxes under the shed roof, then I thought "why bother to waste that space?" So they're just outside the perimeter of the roof.

Here's a pic from today's progress. Temp at the time the pic was taken 1.6 F

Attachments

• P1000304.jpg
    P1000304.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 456
   / Steel carport to monitor barn question #9  
Being retired military I've used 20ft containers a lot. We call them Milvans, or Conexes depending on what branch of service. I've never considered them effective storage. But maybe I'm missing something??? What do you guys pay for a 20ft container??

/ Steel carport to monitor barn question #10  
Conex cost depends on condition and delivery charges. Mine are what's known as "one-trippers". They were built, filled once with cargo, emptied in Vancouver, then shipped to my door. Cost was $pendy @ $3500 ea, installed. They're in mint condition, zero rust, zero dents, painted a color I wanted, and don't have any huge shipping company logos painted on the side. They also have the padlock points mounted 18" higher than those used for truck transportation, so no need to bend over to lock/unlock.

I wanted 20' units for flexibility and needing to walk 40' round trip vs 80' to get at something stored at the far end

I got these because my old 'barn/loafing shed' was flattened by a microburst, and I wanted something quick to get and easy to use while I designed a replacement building.