Stay with NH or make a change to closer dealer

/ Stay with NH or make a change to closer dealer #1  

felixedo

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D / Deere 1026R / Bobcat CT2040
I'm seriously considering parting ways with my 2002 TC35D with about 375 hrs. It has been a great tractor with a few known quirks, but the dealer around here is no longer a New Holland dealer. I have been looking at either the Kubota L3901 or Deere 3038E. I have to say that neither one of these are near the machine my old New Holland is. The larger frame NH definitely has advantages. The weight difference alone is significant (NH +/- 3000#, Kubota +/-2600#) as is the 3 point lift strength (NH 2025#, Kubota 1985#, but I really can't think of anything that heavy I would ever use). The 3038E isn't even much of contender. Any thoughts on holding vs trading?

/ Stay with NH or make a change to closer dealer #2  
Unless the tractor is in the shop often, why spend a ton of money on a new machine with reduced capacity? And if you are only putting 25 hours a year on it, is it even worth keeping...never mind replacing? What does it do that your 1026R does not do?

I would keep it and pay to have it delivered to the closest dealer who will work on it if/when it needs work.

/ Stay with NH or make a change to closer dealer #3  
Keep the TC35D, it's a lot better tractor then any of the new stuff.

/ Stay with NH or make a change to closer dealer
Shoterdon- You make some excellent points. All of those I have considered. And I agree boomer1025, the TC35D is a better machine. That's what makes the decision hard. Just a better machine, or a better experience? What I didn't say is that I keep it at my weekend property, about 2 hours away in the boonies. And when I'm there, nothing else is open. If I need service I have to call from home, go meet the tech to either repair or pickup, and meet him again to drop off. At 17 years old, the repairs are going to be more frequent, not less. I know, I'm complaining a lot for a guy with a weekend place in the woods. The real complaint is that I have a tractor I like, but not a dealer close by to go with it.

/ Stay with NH or make a change to closer dealer #5  
I was almost ready to buy an L3901, trading up from my TC26 DA, until I realized, for all that cash and a bigger, more powerful machine, I was getting 100 pounds more loader capacity to full height. That was a major turnoff, and the 4701 is too big, and the Grand d Ls are so darn expensive. It seems that to get any serious upgrade on my loader capacity I need to go to a bigger tractor still, more money and my five foot implements would be too narrow. Frustrating. And then if you do go to a 4701, you might as well get a an MX. So, I continue to contemplate and stay with the TC26DA.

/ Stay with NH or make a change to closer dealer #6  
Stay with the NH.

/ Stay with NH or make a change to closer dealer
The same calculations I keep coming up with.

/ Stay with NH or make a change to closer dealer #8  
Felixedo, if your place is in the boonies, you might check around said boonies for local people who service tractors. Most NH parts are available quickly online, and there are guys who work full time in garages that do tractor work on the side, especially in areas where there are lots of tractors. Just asking at local hardware stores and such, you might find someone.

Another thing to consider is that I've been told by more than one person that the older tractors are much easier to work on the new ones. Here, I have a choice of 3 dealers, NH and MF, each 26 miles away in different directions, and Kubota, 50 miles. It costs to have them come and haul the tractor to the dealer for repairs. I did find one guy locally who does tractor work on the side, but was told his business is pretty full and he's not taking on new customers.

/ Stay with NH or make a change to closer dealer #9  
Just a few more things to think about, The New Holland has the Shibaura engine in it, and putting the minimal hours on it you are it should last a very, very, long time with just even reasonable and occasional maintenance (i.e. change the oil once a year, Check every time you use it, Keep fuel filter changed). Another thing to consider is the newer machines some of them have the tier 4 emissions i do not know if the ones you are considering do or not. And the new machines have way more electronics to go bad and way more wires for that one lonely little mouse to cut its teeth on while just sitting around. I know these are things you may already know, but it really just comes down to YOU! if you want and can afford a new tractor....then buy it.....but if you can live with what you got, and like it, keep it, because finding another one will be harder than you think...everybody looking for older low hour machines.... including me.......