Status of Everything Attachments

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,241  
I will not use a debit card. I have one which serves as an ATM card for the bank which I use for pin money only, but don't have a card associated with any account at my CU. I once had Amazon check the funds on my main account. At the time I had a lot of money there because I was in the process of buying a truck, and somebody could have had a massive shopping spree. There was no way they should have had that debit card number and no reason for them to do a query. As soon as the CU opened I had the card shut off and never replaced it.

A friend had something similar happen when somebody at a Sears in Florida hand entered the wrong card number by mistake. They eventually refunded her money but it took several weeks of fightimg with them, and several more before they cut her a check. She got stuck for several hundred dollars in overdraft fees as she had checks written against the money which Sears had mistakenly taken out.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,242  
As far as debit/credit cards, I have my bank set to email me for every transaction over $1.
I should be able to pick out fraudulent charges pretty quickly.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,243  
I will not use a debit card. I have one which serves as an ATM card for the bank which I use for pin money only, but don't have a card associated with any account at my CU. I once had Amazon check the funds on my main account. At the time I had a lot of money there because I was in the process of buying a truck, and somebody could have had a massive shopping spree. There was no way they should have had that debit card number and no reason for them to do a query. As soon as the CU opened I had the card shut off and never replaced it.

A friend had something similar happen when somebody at a Sears in Florida hand entered the wrong card number by mistake. They eventually refunded her money but it took several weeks of fightimg with them, and several more before they cut her a check. She got stuck for several hundred dollars in overdraft fees as she had checks written against the money which Sears had mistakenly taken out.
I have had my debit card hacked twice in the past 10 years. Each time the bank shut down my card and restored the funds to my account within about 10 days. B of A. My credit union card once had an attempted hacking but the CU blocked the transaction because it originated in British Columbia.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,244  
restored the funds to my account within about 10 days
That's not soon enough, if it's your main account and you have checks written against the money. Or in my case, there was $18,000 waiting for me to go pick up a truck.

It's just not worth it to me, especially since in both cases cited above they should never have been able to access the number in the first place.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,245  
That's not soon enough, if it's your main account and you have checks written against the money. Or in my case, there was $18,000 waiting for me to go pick up a truck.

It's just not worth it to me, especially since in both cases cited above they should never have been able to access the number in the first place.
It’s never good to be hacked. I pointed out that many banks also protect debit cards.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,246  
It’s never good to be hacked. I pointed out that many banks also protect debit cards.
Only after your checks bounce. At that point it's too late. Aside from all of the overdraft fees, late payment fees, and hits on my credit for missed payments; I also would have lost my deposit on the truck.

Whatever works for each of us though.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,247  
Seems like I read something in this thread about local authorities looking for people who paid and didn't receive their products for a possible criminal case against EA/Ted but, I can't seem to find it.

It does appear to this non-lawyer that a wire fraud case might be appropriate based on what I believe his business practices were.

I have a friend in this situation and once their credit card resolution is reached, they may be interested in supporting local authorities if they pursue wire fraud or similar charges.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,248  
Seems like I read something in this thread about local authorities looking for people who paid and didn't receive their products for a possible criminal case against EA/Ted but, I can't seem to find it.

It does appear to this non-lawyer that a wire fraud case might be appropriate based on what I believe his business practices were.

I have a friend in this situation and once their credit card resolution is reached, they may be interested in supporting local authorities if they pursue wire fraud or similar charges.

It’s on the EA Facebook page.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,249  
Only after your checks bounce. At that point it's too late. Aside from all of the overdraft fees, late payment fees, and hits on my credit for missed payments; I also would have lost my deposit on the truck.

Whatever works for each of us though.
In my case I noticed the illegal charge right away and contacted the bank. No account issues. But I do try to log in to my accounts at least every other day to monitor the charges. I did have a work issued credit card get hacked and it still took the bank about 10 days to restore the funds.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,250  
I have a Citi credit card.

Long long time.

They are obsessive with sending me notices of unusual/strange charges and asking if it was me.

Most of the time it’s when I’m traveling and charge at a gas station or restaurant outside my home city.

About 4 times I’ve said it wasn’t me.

Well - charge disappears, card is immediately canceled and a new card is FedEx the next day.

Once it was when I was traveling and that was a hassle.

My wife has a few auto pay linked to my card and Citi does the work to ensure those places now have the new card information.