Status of Everything Attachments

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,661  
My auto shop was in very rural and poor part of California. Many clients unable or unwilling to pay largish bills with cash, and illegal in California to surcharge for using credit card. Profit margins are super tight in auto repair business, so discounting for cash?, way out of the question.
Patrick
I never use cash anymore other than for purchases of $20 or less. If a business wants to charge me extra, I will patronize someone else. It’s becoming rare that they try to charge extra for credit cards. I pay my bill every month and don’t carry a balance.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,662  
I never use cash anymore other than for purchases of $20 or less. If a business wants to charge me extra, I will patronize someone else. It’s becoming rare that they try to charge extra for credit cards. I pay my bill every month and don’t carry a balance.
OH but you are, everyone has to cover the extra costs of CC transactions. Why would a business set a lower profit margin?
Every business has to cover their expenses and pay the bills. Most just make an extra ~3% more on cash sales but they sure as heck are not taking a hit to their margin.
Bottom line is that every CC transaction is sending 3% cut to the bankers of the world, just wait for digital money and then even the allowance for your kids will sent 3% to the bankers or the government.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,663  
Almost every local (non chain) restaurant charges to use a CC in my area.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,666  
I've talked with some businesses who figure the cc card fee is just a cost of doing business, increases sales, streamlines the accounting, and protects from dealing with bad checks.

Not a total wash, but it also doesn't bother them that much,

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,667  
OH but you are, everyone has to cover the extra costs of CC transactions. Why would a business set a lower profit margin?
Every business has to cover their expenses and pay the bills. Most just make an extra ~3% more on cash sales but they sure as heck are not taking a hit to their margin.
Bottom line is that every CC transaction is sending 3% cut to the bankers of the world, just wait for digital money and then even the allowance for your kids will sent 3% to the bankers or the government.
Just saying that CC usage is standard practice at almost all businesses and it’s rare that I’ve had one want to charge additional fees. I’m sure it occurs, but I have only rarely encountered that at a few small mom and pop businesses.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,668  
   / Status of Everything Attachments #1,669  
We tried surcharge but people don't like it, so we just raised nightly rates....

^^ This exactly.

Anyone who thinks businesses don’t charge to cover credit card fees (either overtly or baked into prices) has never owned a business.

Milton Friedman said it a long time ago —- there is no such thing as a free lunch.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,670  
I don’t know any business and especially not restaurants in my area that does that.
Many locally owned restaurants around here do that. So do a lot of flea markets and antique shops.