Starting & Safety Devices

/ Starting & Safety Devices #1  

Canada_CT230

Platinum Member
Tractor
1878 Ford 65N
The last two times I went to start the CT230 it would not start. I figured that it was some kind of safety switch that was causing troubles from being frozen or something. The battery had plenty of juice but the starter would not engage.

I bounced up and down on the seat a few times, engaged the parking brake a few times, rocked the foot treadle a few times to make sure it was in the neutral position. It then started.

Today, it did the same thing, so I decided to look under the tractor and investigate further.

The foot treadle has a neutral position micro switch and the return spring was not closing the micro switch. I think the problem is grease that is too thick or maybe some moisture in there.

It is easy to go under there and close the switch manually. I will be looking into some alternate lubricants.

Sometimes I wish that we didn't have lawyers and stupid people in this world. All these safety switches can cause these aggravating issues. Especially when I need to push snow around to be able to get out of my house.

The next time I have the tractor out I will snap a photo of the micro switch.

/ Starting & Safety Devices #2  
Yeah, the interlocks on the CT230 are quite annoying, and MUCH
different from those on my CK30, which is the same machine. The first
thing I did was to jumper the seat switch.

This photo shows the interlock control logic box, under the seat on the
left. The system allows you to run the tractor without being in the seat
(brake has to be on).

Attachments

• interlock_cntl_unit2.jpg
    interlock_cntl_unit2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 158
   / Starting & Safety Devices #3  
Why would you want to get off your tractor while its running.... and the brake not on? The only thing I can think of is if you are on the tractor and want to stand up for a minute, other than that, I dont see a need to disable the seat switch.

/ Starting & Safety Devices
When I am blowing snow and reach back to crank the blower a different direction the seat switch sometimes cuts the engine. Or like you said to stand up and stretch the old legs.

/ Starting & Safety Devices #5  
Yeah, that makes sense. I have had the engine start to die because I stood up or reach back too far.

/ Starting & Safety Devices #6  
Why would you want to get off your tractor while its running.... and the brake not on? The only thing I can think of is if you are on the tractor and want to stand up for a minute, other than that, I dont see a need to disable the seat switch.

Try to position the tractor to mount the QA loader bkt. Also, if you use
pallet forks, standing up while you inch the tractor forward is necessary.

It is also safe to not use the parking brake on level gound with the FEL
bkt on the ground, HST in gear, and backhoe outriggers down.