Starting fluid

/ Starting fluid #1  

Alan46

Elite Member
Tractor
KiotiCK25 HST
What is a good starting fluid for a diesel tractor?

/ Starting fluid #2  
As a rule, none. Some older stuff was designed to use it but didn’t have any glow plugs or a heater grid. The problem is with glow plugs or heater grid things can explode. Needing starting fluid is a symptom that something is wrong.

/ Starting fluid
Thanks for the reply. My kioti CK 25 HST wouldn’t start this today so I gave it a small shot of starting fluid from TSC it stated on the can ok for Diesel although I know better, once it started like normal fast it ran for about an hour while I hooked up bush hog, turned it off and tried to restart and nothing.
I’m thinking fuel pump, any thoughts?

/ Starting fluid #5  
X3 on none.
I have used a heat gun or hair dryer in the air intake for stubborn diesels.
My gasoline walk behind gets a portable heater on the intake below 50f to save me from having to pull it 20 times. Fortunately that's only a few times in the spring and fall.

/ Starting fluid
It acts like it’s not getting any fuel on the start!

/ Starting fluid #7  
Thanks for the reply. My kioti CK 25 HST wouldn’t start this today so I gave it a small shot of starting fluid from TSC it stated on the can ok for Diesel although I know better, once it started like normal fast it ran for about an hour while I hooked up bush hog, turned it off and tried to restart and nothing.
I’m thinking fuel pump, any thoughts?

Start with the simpler things first. If it's turning over, confirm fuel flow by removing fuel line from the tank out (one at a time).
Replace the fuel filters if they are even remotely due, confirm that the electric lift pump (if equipped) is working. After that, the fuel shut off solenoid is a frequent culprit

/ Starting fluid
Start with the simpler things first. If it's turning over, confirm fuel flow by removing fuel line from the tank out (one at a time).
Replace the fuel filters if they are even remotely due, confirm that the electric lift pump (if equipped) is working. After that, the fuel shut off solenoid is a frequent culprit

I know it’s getting fuel because it ran got about an hour after a quick shot on starting fluid. I’m going to clean the filter and disconnect the line coming in and out of the pump in that order that should tell me something! Will check back in later!

/ Starting fluid #10  
Thinking that the glow plugs aren’t working? If they were you would’ve experienced a bang due to the ether. Kinda like a house full of gas fumes and someone flicks a light switch…😬