Starting a ride on after 7 years

/ Starting a ride on after 7 years #1  

Hefner

Tractor
McCulloch
I have a friend who has a ride on mower that hasn’t been used for since 2016. The mower was bought from new in 2015. The mower has been kept inside all the time and I understand that the battery has been regularly on a trickle charger.

I have my own ride on mower and have kept it going for the last 10 years with regular maintenance although my knowledge of small engines is limited to watching numerous youtube videos and tinkering w8th my own mower which has as a single cylinder Briggs Intek engine.

I’m going to see if I can my friend’s mower going and wonder whether there is anything in particular I should be consider in voew of the fact it has not been started for 7 years. The engine is a Briggs Intek V twin (40R777 0003B1 150929YG). I think it has a Nikki carb! The mower has had petrol setting in it for 7 years which will need to be replaced. My initial concern is if I try and turn over the engine any gunk sitting in the carb bowl will get sucked up in to the carb causing issues with it starting. The engine has a fuel pump and is not gravity feed.

Clearly I need to drain the old petrol and put fresh fuel in and assuming there are no battery issues is there anything else I should pay particular attention to before trying to get it started. Should I remove the carb bowl before doing anything and see if it clean?

Any tips/advice is welcome.

/ Starting a ride on after 7 years #2  
Change all fluids (gas and oil), air filter, battery, grease/lube stuff, then fire it up…….

/ Starting a ride on after 7 years #3  
I would swing by the Lowes or Home D and get yourself a bottle of "Mechanic in a bottle". Drain out the whole tank and wash it out good with gas. (kill some weeds) and then dump the whole bottle of stuff in there and then fill with non ethanol gas. Replace the fuel filter as well if there's one there. And use some ether on the intake (short quick blast or two) and turn it over. It'll fire immediately with the ether and then the gas and mechanic in a bottle should take over the rest of the task.

/ Starting a ride on after 7 years #4  
Generic replacement carbs can be had on Amazon for under $20 instead of trying to clean the old one.

/ Starting a ride on after 7 years
Thanks for the advice.