Starting a new Massey Ferguson 1840M

/ Starting a new Massey Ferguson 1840M
sorry, for some reason i thought i had posted my update. here is the sequence of conversations from the dealership:

Hey John,
Hope you are doing well. I talked to my mechanic this morning and they are having issues. They got this other kit put on and it hasn't changed the time of the glow plugs at all. ZIts doing the exact same thing so we are going to have to keep it today, hopefully they can get it figured out soon but we don't want to send it back without fixing it.
Thank you John

Hey John,
Hope you had a great weekend. They did get that tractor fixed Friday afternoon. So the glow plug light indicator will only show the same amount of time as before. That's why they thought it wasn't fixed, but they got in contact with AGCO and the light will stay the same. So after the light goes off there is still power going to the glow plugs for another 25-30 seconds. I am going to load up this morning and get headed that way.
Thank You John

Hey John,
I got it delivered and thank you for those tire chains. He said that was normal for them. The part number is 7073150M91, it is just a harness you splice in to that bypasses the timer for around 30 seconds.
Thanks John

and here is my follow up email to him:

I hope you are well and had a pleasant weekend. I am writing you just to let you know about the repairs you guys did. Unfortunately nothing has changed, it still just turns over for awhile for a long time until finally starting. I waited until we had some cooler mornings and afternoons, 25-34 degrees.However I really do appreciate you guys trying, that does mean alot. Anyhow, take care and Ill talk to you later.

So nothing has changed or been fixed, it does not like starting when cold, for it to start it needs to be plugged in for at least 4 hours. BTW mine is the Iseki engine, not the Shiburu, I really do like this tractor!

/ Starting a new Massey Ferguson 1840M #22  
I’m not saying this applies to your guys but ‘techs’ these days frustrate me. They have no desire, perhaps no ability or aren’t allowed to problem solve. If the computer says all is good … it’s all good. The fact that you have to crank it an excessive amount of time is irrelevant
Any good mechanic would be finding out why. Fuel system air leak, glow plug power supply …… whatever it takes to solve it.
Big diesels in cold weather do need heat and more cranking, I don’t ‘think’ ours should, but if they did , AGCO should just state this and everyone with that tractor should have the same issue.

/ Starting a new Massey Ferguson 1840M
I agree about mechanics nowadays. whatever the computer says is the final verdict. It doesnt matter if its spraying fluids, overheated, and smoking, if the computer says its good then thats that. all they do is replace parts, not any tests or problem solving anymore. but oh well, i cant tell them their profession because its over my head.
I do wish the dealer had tried harder than to just send it back the way it was. He didnt even reply to my email about the "repairs" not working. For a brand new $50k tractor I wish my concerns were taken a little more seriously. With my luck, the starter will go out just after the warranty ends, in January, when its miserable outside. Even more, the online ad/brochure says this :
GLOW PLUGS

GLOW PLUGS​

Glow plugs come standard, so you get sure-fire cold starts on those bitterly cold mornings when you have cattle to feed or snow to remove.

I mean, I just want what the ad stated, I dont want to sit there and crank and crank and crank away at a brand new machine.

/ Starting a new Massey Ferguson 1840M #24  
You’re not asking too much for sure. I am pretty sure no modern small diesel should need to crank excessively. I wonder if they even checked the plugs are actually getting hot or if the computer just detected the relay switching.
I feel your frustration!