Starter Question for Husky garden tractor

/ Starter Question for Husky garden tractor #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
I have a 1994 Husqavarna Garden tractor with the 15 hp Kohler engine . Starter is mounted vertical on these with gear at top to engage with flywheel at top of kohler engine.

This spring time.....it seems like the starter won't move up into the flywheel to start the engine..........it will spin great when key is turned , ............now correct me if I am wrong , but doesn't the gear on the starter have to move up about half an inch or more at the same time as it gets power.

So I assume I need the starter rebuilt, or to buy a new starter...........am I correct ???

/ Starter Question for Husky garden tractor #2  
First thing, is the battery fully charged and installed properly (negative ground)? If so, the gear (that whole assembly on the starter shaft is called the "Bendix") may have just gotten stuck over the winter. Get access to it or remove the starter from the engine and make sure that the gear will wind up and down the helix. Do not use lubricant on it. That will just attract dirt and make it stick again. If the starter is turning, you don't need a new one. Worst case you need to replace the Bendix.

/ Starter Question for Husky garden tractor
Yes I have the starter off already and that gear (bendix) by hand easily slides up and down the shaft and is spirng loaded to slide back down...........all seems smooth just does not react to voltage.........now if battery can turn the starter I have to assume the battery is giving enough to handle the bendix operatioN or can a low battery prevent bendix but still turn starter??????? Battery was on charger and seems okay (before even started to try to run the tractor. )

/ Starter Question for Husky garden tractor #4  
Couple more thoughts. First, yes, the starter can turn but not suddenly enough and with enough force to spin out the gear. That is not common but could happen. If you hold the starter down on the workbench and hook it up to the battery, it should start turning so rapidly that it wants to jump out of your hands. It should also spin the gear out instantly. If that works, I'm going back to my orig. question: Do you have the battery polarity (+ and -) correct in the tractor. If not the starter will spin backwards and not drive the gear out.

/ Starter Question for Husky garden tractor
Thanks Eddie I did the bench test and starter worked fine (I did oil the bendix shaft too ) ........so then I figured maybe the engine is too tough to turn over..........keeping in mind this is first start after winter storage and fuel shutoff is non exisitant....and engine hard to turn using a 9/16 wrench on top bolt ........I drained the oil and sure enough there was more than two litres. I think quite a bit of gas from winter leaked passed carb and into oil sump, and over filled it. I put new oil in , changed the plug , gave it a shot of ether , used a large electric drill to turn the engine and pow pow pow it started. Now I knew that worked . So tried the starter back installed and sure enough it now starts and engages and can turn engine....thanks all !!! lesson learned sometimes not electrical problem !