Starter not engaging flywheel?

/ Starter not engaging flywheel? #1  

PoppaRob

Tractor
MF gc2310tlb
Hi all...
Mounted the new starter but when i turn the key i get a loud noiuse as if the starte gear is not properly engaging th flywheel. There's only 2 bolts and there's not a lot of play so i don't see any way to adjust the starter position.

I took the starter off and remounted it and same thing.

I am guessing either the gears are not compatable, or i need to sync the two . Is there something i need to do??? i could try spinning the flywheel a little, but i don't want to keep messing with it if i don't know what i am doing. * sigh*

Thanks again!

/ Starter not engaging flywheel? #2  
Hi all...
Mounted the new starter but when i turn the key i get a loud noiuse as if the starte gear is not properly engaging th flywheel. There's only 2 bolts and there's not a lot of play so i don't see any way to adjust the starter position.

I took the starter off and remounted it and same thing.

I am guessing either the gears are not compatable, or i need to sync the two . Is there something i need to do??? i could try spinning the flywheel a little, but i don't want to keep messing with it if i don't know what i am doing. * sigh*

Thanks again!
Really stupid question here but
you're certain it's the right starter?

/ Starter not engaging flywheel? #3  
If you've got the correct starter count the teeth on the gear on the old starter and on the new one. They should be the same. You could also try comparing shaft length and gear position between the two.

/ Starter not engaging flywheel?
Really stupid question here but
you're certain it's the right starter?
Well it was advertised as fitting the tractor i have, so i am as sure as i can be. I bought a rebuilt starter.
Thanks

/ Starter not engaging flywheel?
If you've got the correct starter count the teeth on the gear on the old starter and on the new one. They should be the same. You could also try comparing shaft length and gear position between the two.
comparing the two is on my agenda for today. counting teeth is a good idea. Likely i will just send it back and order one for someplace else. I don't remember having this issue that last time i replaced it 2 years ago...

/ Starter not engaging flywheel? #7  
Masseyrider poses a good question. I would expect to replace the starter after twenty years but not two. I suspect other issues if the starter is failing that soon.

/ Starter not engaging flywheel? #10  
If that was me, I would have had the original starter rebuilt instead. Lots of rebuilders out there and most auto shops can get the original one rebuilt as well.

You didn't per chance buy the replacement one on Amazon did you?
I know you are not talking to me but I have never got a bad anything from Amazon.