Starter help Rhino 324

/ Starter help Rhino 324 #1  

whynot162

Silver Member
Tractor
Rhino 324
I have a Rhino 324 tractor. Started fine this winter. Now I hit the key and it just clicks. If I jump the 2 large terminals on the starter it starts right up.
Any help or ideas on how to get it to start with the key again? Thanks

/ Starter help Rhino 324 #2  
Sounds like a poor connection between battery and starter, or a bad starter solenoid. First, remove battery connections and make sure they are clean and making good connections. Check ground to tractor also. That is where I would start (this assumes the battery is good).

/ Starter help Rhino 324 #3  
If jumping the terminals on the starter works, your cables and connections from the battery are fine.
The problem lies between the start position on the key switch and the starter. Trace that circuit and you will most likely find the problem.
Do you have a wiring diagram for your tractor?
Chinese wiring always is suspect, especially the crimped on ends. Replace what you can with good stuff and you will save a lot of future headaches.

/ Starter help Rhino 324 #4  
Maybe I didn't understand the problem. Can't see how jumping the starter with both ground and positive battery connections from a different battery has any coorelation proving the existing battery cables are good or that the existing battery is good. On the other hand, if it was jumpered from the existing battery and the starter connections (essentially replacing the battery cables), and started, might show the existing cables (after being replaced with the jumper) may have a problem.

That was my first thought because the solenoid click is so often a sympton of discharged battery or high resistance connection.
Agree with the rest of the post. I may have not understood how it was jumped. Won't be the first time I was wrong.

/ Starter help Rhino 324 #5  
I took it as he jumped the terminals at the starter, ie: shorted them together.
If he used another power source to jump to the starter then all bets are off.
If the key switch or wiring are bad it could result in low voltage to the starter solenoid which would cause it to click but not provide enough power to engage it.
On my Jinma 284 (rough equivalent one large post on the starter is the power direct from the battery, this is the solenoid side. The other large post is the starter winding itself which is connected to the other side of the solenoid. The small terminal on the solenoid is power from the key switch. Hit the key, 12v to the solenoid, which then connects the two large terminals together powering up the starter motor.
In the OP's scenario if he simply jumped the two large terminals together, he bypassed the solenoid and gave full battery power to the starter motor. This proves the battery, cables and connections on the heavy cables is fine.
It leave in question the 12v supply to trigger the solenoid and the solenoid itself.
After confirming full voltage to the small wire at the solenoid he will be left with the probability of a dirty/sticky solenoid. These are easily disassembled for cleaning and lubing of the all the moving parts if needed.
Jumping from another vehicle or battery proves nothing except the starter motor is fine.
More clarification from the OP is needed to determine the next step

/ Starter help Rhino 324
Thanks for the help I did jump the two large terminals on the starter and it started. So I used the original battery and cables. I did not jump the small one to the one from the battery. Is that what I need to check next?
A few years ago I bypassed the neutral interlocks on this due to the same type of issue if I remember correctly.
Thanks again

/ Starter help Rhino 324 #7  
Just a note here on cleaning/lubricating the solenoid motor (some call it a slug). Don't use any grease or any type of oil as it is not only a dirt magnet, it will also become sluggish and could bind in cold weather, drawing more amps than necessary. Use a dry lubricant such as graphite.

/ Starter help Rhino 324 #8  
Yes, you are on the right track.
Jump from the battery cable at the solenoid end to the small terminal on the solenoid. This will bypass the key switch and all the associated circuitry.
If it still just clicks, the problem is in the solenoid.
If it spins over, your problem lies elsewhere.
(make sure it is in neutral) :)

/ Starter help Rhino 324 #9  
Ok I have the identical problem. Every so often I will have to start it at the starter with a screwdriver. Works np. So you're saying the key switch could be bad not getting enough power to the solenoid intermittently. I always thought the solenoid. It's very random. Could be cold, hot, using it all day, makes no difference.

/ Starter help Rhino 324 #10  
If your problem is random and self correcting it is not likely to be bad wiring as that will not get better on its own. However loose connections can act like this and a faulty key switch can be intermittent. The key switch usually fails at the glow plug contacts because that draws much more current. A dirty contact can self correct because these are "wiping style" contacts.
Another possibility is that the contacts inside the solenoid are getting burned/dirty and sometimes it just doesn't "hit" hard enough to get a good contact. You hear the click but there is not enough current flowing through them to spin the motor.
I would suggest taking the solenoid apart and checking/cleaning the contacts.
Also don't forget to properly lube the starter bushings and clean the brushes and commutator. All standard maintenance items on low tech starters like these.
There was a time when the Jinma tractors were notorious for having shipped with starters that had not been lubed or only very lightly. Mine went 3 or 4 hundred hours before I had to clean and lube it. Also polished up the contacts in the solenoid. It how has 850 hours and is probably due for another PM this fall before it gets cold.