Starlink

/ Starlink #3,721  
I could show you my bank statement where they have billed me the $150 monthly service, and I could show you the FedEx tracking that shows my equipment has not left the facility.

I totally agree that it doesn’t make any sense. That’s why I find this experience so frustrating. I have sent 3 messages over the last 3 days, each time I get a canned response that basically says they’ll get to me when they get to me.

So this initial customer service experience is turning me off to the entire thing.
That's why I was telling you about the phone thing. I asked them a question through the app and was expecting a response through the app but they called me instead.

/ Starlink #3,722  
I cannot get regular service until 'sometime in 2023', but I can get high priority service right away. $2500 for hardware plus $250 a month. I guess I will have to wait.

/ Starlink #3,723  
@Fishin-4-a-Livin That sounds frustrating and annoying. It also sounds like a screw up on their end. As @BigBlue1 pointed out the billing normally doesn’t start until your equipment is configured. Keep sending in the ticket requests.

All the best, Peter

/ Starlink #3,724  
I could show you my bank statement where they have billed me the $150 monthly service, and I could show you the FedEx tracking that shows my equipment has not left the facility.

I totally agree that it doesn’t make any sense. That’s why I find this experience so frustrating. I have sent 3 messages over the last 3 days, each time I get a canned response that basically says they’ll get to me when they get to me.

So this initial customer service experience is turning me off to the entire thing.
I'm not disputing that it is happening to you. Just saying that the situation is not normal to let you know that you should most definitely keep contacting them to have them fix it and refund you for the unusable service charges.

/ Starlink #3,725  
I cannot get regular service until 'sometime in 2023', but I can get high priority service right away. $2500 for hardware plus $250 a month. I guess I will have to wait.
The $2,500 and $250 a month sounds like the Maritime package which is for vessels moving across oceans. Interesting that the Maritime service is available now. Many people doing coastal boating are using the regular dish without issues. Some vessels crossing oceans are using the regular dish and service, which is not supported, but seems to work as long as vessel speed is below 10 knots. Sounds like not many people are buying the $2,500 package. :unsure:

/ Starlink #3,726  
The $2,500 and $250 a month sounds like the Maritime package which is for vessels moving across oceans. Interesting that the Maritime service is available now. Many people doing coastal boating are using the regular dish without issues. Some vessels crossing oceans are using the regular dish and service, which is not supported, but seems to work as long as vessel speed is below 10 knots. Sounds like not many people are buying the $2,500 package. :unsure:
Not anymore they aren't. SL has begun cracking down on stationary dishes used in proximity to waterways and in motion.

/ Starlink #3,727  
@Fishin-4-a-Livin That sounds frustrating and annoying. It also sounds like a screw up on their end. As @BigBlue1 pointed out the billing normally doesn’t start until your equipment is configured. Keep sending in the ticket requests.

All the best, Peter

I'm not disputing that it is happening to you. Just saying that the situation is not normal to let you know that you should most definitely keep contacting them to have them fix it and refund you for the unusable service charges.

They finally responded by email and have refunded the $150 monthly fee and apologized for the crappy customer service.

Hopefully they send my stuff soon.

/ Starlink #3,728  
Not anymore they aren't. SL has begun cracking down on stationary dishes used in proximity to waterways and in motion.
I follow two different boat forums, one is mostly US while the other has quite a bit of coverage overseas. There have been some reports of StarLink going after stationary dishes on boats but most people are still working without issues. One key limit seems to be speed. If one is going over 10 knots, then there might be a problem.

People are using the stationary dish on thousand and thousands of sail boats and trawlers around the world. The biggest issue has been the frequents changes in price and terms of agreement.

The last Star Link update I saw was that as long as one was in coastal waters the stationary dish would work. Would it work while moving seems to be an issue of the speed of the boat. Having said that, people crossing oceans are using the stationary dish, but they are not moving fast.

/ Starlink #3,729  
I used the app to scan the sky to find a location, once my equipment does arrive.

The best I can get is about 10% obstructed view. It‘s scattered treetops that are blocking.

Wonder how much of an issue that will be?

/ Starlink #3,730  
I used the app to scan the sky to find a location, once my equipment does arrive.

The best I can get is about 10% obstructed view. It‘s scattered treetops that are blocking.

Wonder how much of an issue that will be?
That will most likely cause short, intermittent outages. However, if you mount the antenna higher than you were holding you phone, the results will differ. Higher would be better, if you can mange it. I put mine on an outbuilding to get out of the trees.

All the best,

Peter