Starlink

/ Starlink #3,661  
How did you find that out?

I have a second Internet link so didn't notice the outage, but i am curious.
Several different Starlink groups I'm in. Though I have seen several messages saying folks were not affected, so potentially not a full global outage. Definitely affected a lot of people though. Plus, Elon put up a post about it too.

/ Starlink #3,662  
I was right in the middle of doing something on the 'net when the connection went dead. Grabbed an iPhone and turned off wifi so it would use the cellular connection, and googled "starlink status". One of the links that came up was for a website called DownDetector. It had a graph of complaints vs. time based on contributions from people using their app. There was a huge spike of complaints about Starlink being down at the time my connection went dead. That's how I found out. Downloaded the app for the iPhone for the next time. Pretty safe bet there'll be a next time, if not for Starlink, but for another network based service...

/ Starlink #3,663  
Been in Las Vegas this past week. Using SL RV.

When it works, it is great. But there are many lags or short duration dropouts. Not just mine but others nearby as well.

Seems if you use it constantly, it is better. But go fix a sandwich and return, and you have to wait 30-60 seconds before activity. Sometimes longer.

Streaming TV using residential SL is nearly flawless. Not perfect but close. Streaming here in Vegas using SL RV has been more of a challenge. It works, but subject to interruptions.

/ Starlink #3,664  
Speaking of dropouts/lags in service, I have been getting the "Slow Ethernet LAN link" status for awhile, coupled with short dropouts. Starlink sent me replacements for the router, Ethernet adapter and cable. After I installed the parts it was about the same, with frequent sub-second dropouts.

Yesterday, I decided to get to the bottom of the "Slow Ethernet LAN link" error. I have a wireless link from the Dishy location to the house because of obstructions, so my Ethernet path is SL router<->Ethernet adapter<-> indoor surge protector (protecting from Dishy generated surges)<->PoE adapter<->outside surge protector <-> wireless link. I put a small Ethernet switch in downstream of the first surge protector and got a momentary 1,000Mbit/s link, which then dropped to 100Mbit/s link in a few seconds. So I pulled the surge protector and put the switch downstream of the SL Ethernet adapter, which generated a 1,000Mbit/s link, so I added the downstream portion of everything else to the switch and got a second 1,000Mbit/s link. I double checked the SL app, and the app showed ""Normal Ethernet LAN link", aka 1,000Mbit/s. Finally, I pulled the first surge protector and put it into its own port on the switch, and noticed that the switch's LEDs for link status both had a faint glow.

What I think is going on is that the Ethernet link negotiation electronics on the SL Ethernet adapter are either very sensitive or weak, and can't take the added draw from the surge protector leakage, and the switch repowers the signal strength enough not to degrade the link.

Why care? Well, Ethernet bandwidth is on the order of 70-90% of the link speed (artifact of the design due to packet collisions). So a 100Mbit link runs at 70-90Mbits/s, tops. Getting a 1,000Mbit/s link up means that Starlink can zip along at full speed whenever the satellite link is faster that 70-90Mbits/s. For me, here, downloading, the link upgrade is noticeable.

All the best,

Peter

P.S. FWIW This is the indoor surge protector that I am using; and it does seem to support 1,000Mbits/s at the house.
91hpgJWJDCL._AC_SX679_.jpg

This is the outdoor surge protector that I am using, ca 2' from the wireless links;
31wuGIJSPOL._AC_.jpg

/ Starlink #3,665  
- Outage was global. Elon posted on Twitter that it was an expired Certificate at one of the ground stations.
- East coast dishy's are being moved from pointing north to pointing east to take advantage of the satellites over the ocean that aren't being utilized to take the load off the satellites over the continent.
I saw on the StarLink up that there was an outage but did not realize it was global until I saw the post on this thread.

VERY good to know they are pointing the satellites east over the ocean. I was really wondering about the new orientation and was thinking about rebooting the dish again to see if it moved back to the north. Wont do that now since it is working correctly.

I do wonder if the dish is smart enough to keep the north orientation or point to a different direction depending on blockages. I could see moving from north to east might mess some people up OR make service workable for some.

/ Starlink #3,666  
I saw on the StarLink up that there was an outage but did not realize it was global until I saw the post on this thread.

VERY good to know they are pointing the satellites east over the ocean. I was really wondering about the new orientation and was thinking about rebooting the dish again to see if it moved back to the north. Wont do that now since it is working correctly.

I do wonder if the dish is smart enough to keep the north orientation or point to a different direction depending on blockages. I could see moving from north to east might mess some people up OR make service workable for some.
- Turns out it was not global, mostly confined to the US, further information indicates I was wrong when I posted that.
- I have read of folks turning the pole so dishy pointed north, next reboot it repointed east.
- It has changed my obstructions from "not obstructed" to "obstructed every 3 minutes", but my speeds are almost twice as fast. 20-50Mb/s down to 60-100Mb/s down.
- I saw a picture where when the dishy repointed from north to east... their dishy was mounted on the eve of the roof and when it rotated to east... dishy hit roof and was unable to point east.

/ Starlink #3,667  
Mine still points north.

/ Starlink #3,669  
- Turns out it was not global, mostly confined to the US, further information indicates I was wrong when I posted that.
- I have read of folks turning the pole so dishy pointed north, next reboot it repointed east.
- It has changed my obstructions from "not obstructed" to "obstructed every 3 minutes", but my speeds are almost twice as fast. 20-50Mb/s down to 60-100Mb/s down.
- I saw a picture where when the dishy repointed from north to east... their dishy was mounted on the eve of the roof and when it rotated to east... dishy hit roof and was unable to point east.
I think my procrastination has worked to my benefit. Again. 😁

Our Starlink is installed temporarily. Been temporarily for two years now. :ROFLMAO: When we got Starlink, the eave adapter was not available, so I made a base from scrap 2x4s, which sits on a low slope roof. Finally got the adapter, but I will have to look at it again, but I am pretty sure if I had installed it, the dish could NOT move to the east...

With the "temporary" mount the dish can point in what ever direction it wants.

Our speeds do seem faster but the speeds tests can be variable. Having said that, I just got a couple of results at 110 and 120 Mbps which is some of the highest I have seen.

/ Starlink #3,670  
Our speeds do seem faster but the speeds tests can be variable. Having said that, I just got a couple of results at 110 and 120 Mbps which is some of the highest I have seen.
Speeds vary greatly based on time of day. I have started checking late morning. When dishy was pointing north, I was getting 20-50Mb/s down, after dishy pointed east I was getting the 60-100Mb/s. I have checked twice since the last router/dishy update and I was getting 140-190Mb/s. For me, anything above 15Mb/s is just icing on the cake and I really don't need it.