Starlink

/ Starlink #2,321  
that's not necessarily true. I use router made by mikrotik, that have the ability to generate traffic for a Btest, and it does terrible in that regard. but is totally acceptable for normal router use. creating traffic is a significant higher load, then wifi demands ( you can actually see the process loads on tik)
The iperf3 utility on a high end gaming PC with a 10 gigabit NIC talking to a 10 gigabit switch & firewall tops out at about 1 gigabit. You have to run it multi-threaded to come close to 10 gigabit throughput. It's surprisingly hard to generate even fake traffic.

/ Starlink #2,322  
What is the process for installing the ethernet adapter? Should I stow, unplug the unit, connect the adapter, then unstop, and replug the unit? Can I skip the stow process and just unplug and attach the adapter?

Attachments

• IMG_0097.JPG
    IMG_0097.JPG
    389.8 KB · Views: 78
   / Starlink #2,323  
When I installed mine and during some of the trouble shooting I just unpluged the unit,
connected the adapter and then plugged it back in.

/ Starlink #2,324  
What is the process for installing the ethernet adapter? Should I stow, unplug the unit, connect the adapter, then unstop, and replug the unit? Can I skip the stow process and just unplug and attach the adapter?
I've moved the dish a few times and just unplugged it without stowing. It boots faster if the dish doesn't have to realign itself.

/ Starlink #2,325  
My adapter just came in yesterday. I just installed it this morning. I just unplugged everything, moved router and hooked everything up to router and then plugged back in wall outlet. Everything booted up and worked with no problems. Now my home network is running as normal with Starlink just providing internet service. I bypassed the Starlink WiFi in the Starlink app so there would be no conflicts between it's WiFi and my home mesh setup. Couldn't be more pleased so far with the performance of the system.(y)

/ Starlink #2,326  
   / Starlink #2,327  
I do believe i answered my own question, which was happens when you shut the wifi off, how do you get into the router? Ethernet adapter cable came. Networking the starlink router then leaving the starlink's wifi on bothers me. Yes you can shut it off but when you turn it back on you will have to set it up again does not appear to be a big deal(they make you do a factory reset). To get to there speed test and settings and what not you go to the app on your phone go to setting it has you log on through the internet then you can get to what appears to be everything that is available when connected to the router wirelessly. It is kinda spiffy. Is there a way to get into the starlink router off it's ip address?
I'm wrong or what I am saying is not inertly accurate. Test wasn't real world. You shut the wifi router off it turns into a modem, good for me. Settings turns into being able to stowing it and advanced options. Where you get debug data and you can allow starlink remote access. So spiffy is not the word I would use.

/ Starlink #2,328  
My adapter just came in yesterday. I just installed it this morning. I just unplugged everything, moved router and hooked everything up to router and then plugged back in wall outlet. Everything booted up and worked with no problems. Now my home network is running as normal with Starlink just providing internet service. I bypassed the Starlink WiFi in the Starlink app so there would be no conflicts between it's WiFi and my home mesh setup. Couldn't be more pleased so far with the performance of the system.(y)
I tried to connect mine today. Unplugged everything then connected the ethernet adapter powered up and the system did not connect to the satellites. After 45 minutes I did a factory reset and that did not result in a connection. I have tried another factory reset with no success so I am removing the ethernet adapter and hope that the system connects this time..... I did check, recheck, and recheck the connections.

I took the ethernet adapter out and restarted Starlink and I could connect. Could it possibly be a bad ethernet adapter? After my first (gen2) dish failed, now I am wondering. I will try again in the morning to connect with the ethernet adapter. Time for a big glass of nice wine....

Last edited:
   / Starlink #2,329  
I tried to connect mine today. Unplugged everything then connected the ethernet adapter powered up and the system did not connect to the satellites. After 45 minutes I did a factory reset and that did not result in a connection. I have tried another factory reset with no success so I am removing the ethernet adapter and hope that the system connects this time..... I did check, recheck, and recheck the connections.

I took the ethernet adapter out and restarted Starlink and I could connect. Could it possibly be a bad ethernet adapter? After my first (gen2) dish failed, now I am wondering. I will try again in the morning to connect with the ethernet adapter. Time for a big glass of nice wine....
It doesn't sound good. If you connected everything like the little card shows that came with the adapter and made sure the connections were fully seated, it kinda sounds like there could be something wrong with the adapter. Especially if you are able to connect with it out of the loop. How were you trying to connect to Starlink router when adapter was connected, wifi or wired ethernet? Did your screen look like the attached picture? The attached picture is what the app looks like when you are not connected to the starlink router.

Attachments

• Starlink.jpg
    Starlink.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 85
   / Starlink #2,330  
I lookfirst tried connecting directly to the Starlink router and then to my mesh router via the ethernet cable. I could connect to the router(s), but not to the internet. Yep, my app screen looked like the image you posted. I will try one more time in the morning. I did make sure the cables were seated...