Starlink

/ Starlink #3,991  
Perhaps those of you that don't have decent high speed land networks are more limited by politicians not obtaining funding.
For example where LouNY lists his location (Washington County, New York) the population density is about the same as northeast Ms (Itawamba County) where my house is located. But the politicians swung it so BOTH the electric co-op AND the telephone co-op do fiber to the home and many county residents had their choice of either, years ago. Seems like an enormous waste of funds, but it's reality.

/ Starlink #3,992  
No wired internet in my area at all…. Starlink, Hughesnet, 4G hotspot or Microwave are my only options.

Same here, not too far outside of Nashville.

Telcos won't run DSL and cable companies won't run new lines. So it's satellite or fixed wireless until fiber makes its way out here (probably still two years out)

/ Starlink #3,993  
There are a lot of areas that have very poor and or limited Internet services available to them. I may be in upstate New York but I can guarantee you that many people up here have almost no access to high speed internet. It is actually harder here then many areas because of all the hills and valleys. You may think of your area as more sprawling but don't count on it. Today I went to my "local" big box store for a curb side pickup, left the house at 10:30AM and went straight there and straight back didn't make it back 1:00 PM and the only traffic lights were in Glens Falls all 4-5 of them.
I'm confused. Are you agreeing with me? My point was that No option here is better performance at lower price than Starlink. And that is true for many places around the US. As for "sprawling", I was referring to out west - like Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, etc. Though I live pretty much an hour away from most 'big box' style shopping too. But where I live there are small cities all over - maybe every 10 miles. Way different from out west.

/ Starlink #3,994  
Maybe you didn't have enough room on the PC for the game? Or you hit your data limit?
Or maybe try in off peak times.
I have downloaded a couple of war games - one is 80 plus gigs no problems
This Monday late AM 187 down and 19 up (y) Plenty good enough for games.
The Xbox had lots of room. It has a terabyte of storage. It might be the northern location, it might be the ground link, but it was literally like someone slowly turning down a faucet. The loss of streaming signal was sort of random, but I seldom see that problem with the wireless broadband service.

/ Starlink #3,995  
The loss of streaming signal was sort of random, but I seldom see that problem with the wireless broadband service.
I have streamed TV via Starlink for about a year. Only starting about a month ago has it started dropping out. Only here and there, but it does.

What is odd is I usually check other devices, or my router, when it stops streaming. A few times it was a total outage, but most of the time my other devices have an outside connection but the TV no longer streams.

From now on, I will add a speed test from the other devices and see what that reports.

/ Starlink #3,996  
I have streamed TV via Starlink for about a year. Only starting about a month ago has it started dropping out. Only here and there, but it does.

What is odd is I usually check other devices, or my router, when it stops streaming. A few times it was a total outage, but most of the time my other devices have an outside connection but the TV no longer streams.

From now on, I will add a speed test from the other devices and see what that reports.
We have had the same issue over last three or four months. The <1 second outage page is filled with network outages, drops and occasional alleged obstructions (not real). Before, we would a week or two without noticeable interruptions. Starlink tech support thought it might be a double NAT issue at first and then decided that wasn't it. They then asked me to bypass our Starlink router for a day or two, and I have been waiting for a window of time where I don't mind being outside next to the router with a laptop monitoring the network performance.

As the problem doesn't seem to have gotten worse in the last three to four months leads me to suspect either a firmware issue in the Starlink router, or something systematic in how Dishy looks for and tracks satellites. So, bypassing the router might cure one of the two potential issues.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,997  
Has anyone heard anything about Amazon possibly launching their own satellites ?

/ Starlink #3,999  
Has anyone heard anything about Amazon possibly launching their own satellites ?
They are still working on it and have bought a few launches from SpaceX and others. At the moment, their target audience appears not to be end users, but resellers and community ISPs, at least so far.

Basically, don't hold your breath; they believe it will take them a decade to launch the 3,268 or satellites to have service.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #4,000  
We have had the same issue over last three or four months. The <1 second outage page is filled with network outages, drops and occasional alleged obstructions (not real). Before, we would a week or two without noticeable interruptions. Starlink tech support thought it might be a double NAT issue at first and then decided that wasn't it. They then asked me to bypass our Starlink router for a day or two, and I have been waiting for a window of time where I don't mind being outside next to the router with a laptop monitoring the network performance.

As the problem doesn't seem to have gotten worse in the last three to four months leads me to suspect either a firmware issue in the Starlink router, or something systematic in how Dishy looks for and tracks satellites. So, bypassing the router might cure one of the two potential issues.

All the best,

Peter
The 0.1s outage page has always been full of entries. Those occur as the dish transitions between sats. My dish is 0% obstructed and the 0.1s outage page always contains a long list. I have no service issues. We stream a lot during the evenings and two of us work all day long over VPNs with lots of non-bufferable Teams/WebEx/Zoom meetings. No disruptions. Don't focus on the 0.1s outage page for your issues...