Stalled hydro

/ Stalled hydro #1  

Jimmy Joe

Gold Member
I was working with my Case DX 40 last night plowing snow. I went down a steep hill into the woods, on the way out I was climbing the hill to the road. She started spinning so I pushed the differential lock.
The lock seems to be set a little too far back so when I pushed it I inadvertently lifted my but and the safety switch killed the tractor. With the tractor not running I had to really reef on the shifter to get it out of gear. Was wondering if there is a better way?

/ Stalled hydro #2  
If my JD hydro needed to be in neutral to start it I would quickly bypass something...but first I would disconnect that seat switch as I often have to stand up in order to see when working in tight spots....
I once stalled out back in the bush and found that there was a tree branch in the foot pedal linkage which prevented a re-start. Took me an hour with a pocket knife and pair of pliers to get underway again....

/ Stalled hydro
I will have to look for a quick way to bypass the safety switches so if it happens again I can start it in gear. I sure don't like putting that much pressure on the shift lever.

/ Stalled hydro #4  
You could put a little on-off switch and wire it to both sides of the seat switch. Of course you would need to remember to flip it back after you get it going.

/ Stalled hydro #5  
use a momentary

/ Stalled hydro
I think there is also a switch for when the tractor is in gear to prevent it from starting, both will have to be bypassed, I'll look into it when the weather warms. I wonder if I could make some kind of sub harness with a switch to bypass temporarily.

/ Stalled hydro #7  
With the tractor not running I had to really reef on the shifter to get it out of gear. Was wondering if there is a better way?

No clutch, I guess? My Kioti's got a clutch and that's the only start/run lock out, I think. maybe the pto too..

/ Stalled hydro #8  
I will have to look for a quick way to bypass the safety switches so if it happens again I can start it in gear. I sure don't like putting that much pressure on the shift lever.

Jim, if you can set and hold the tractor in place with the brake, the tension on the shift lever should relieve itself pretty quickly. You might also try moving your HST pedals to their limits in an effort to relieve the internal pressures of the HST. However, as you found out, any backpressure on the transmission will surely cause problems shifting to neutral.

Of course, the shifting to neutral is the gear portion of the transmission and not the HST. The gear portion is trying to backpump through the HST and that should relieve itself if you can set the brakes and hold the tractor. Even if the tractor slides a bit after you set the brakes, with the wheels locked, the rotating pressure should be relieved.

The one exception is that if you are in 4wd, you have no brakes on the front wheels. If the brakes can't hold the tractor, continued rolling will transmit torque from the front wheels. At that point, you have a problem of not being able to shift out of 4WD and not being able to shift the range lever. All you can do is bump the range lever and try to get it to neutral.

The transmission safety switch is an easy one to bypass if you want to add a switch. Shorting the switch sends a "neutral" signal. The older seats used to also be easy to bypass, but when they moved the switch inside the seat, it changed the circuit a bit to make it a little harder.

EDIT: BTW, I hate the position of our differential lock. I think CNH put it there so you wouldn't accidently step on it, but you have to put your heel back there and push down. When I put my heel back that far, my toe wants to go down and my heel rise up. It's a very unatural position.

/ Stalled hydro
No clutch, I guess? My Kioti's got a clutch and that's the only start/run lock out, I think. maybe the pto too..

My tractor has no clutch, after reading threads about stuck clutches I thought it was a plus, but maybe not.

Thanks Jinman, maybe I don't have to bypass the switch after all. Next time I'm in a predicament like that I'll give your method a try.