Stall Guard on The GL40's

/ Stall Guard on The GL40's #1  

Leejohn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660
My stall guard drops way down in rpm before it kicks in. Like down to 1500 rpm's from 2600. My ? is has anyone had there ECU reset and how much does your's drop in rpm. It has always been this way, but starting to get to me.
Come to think about it, it only was dropping from hi to lo in the trans and that would let the rpm's come up. I don't recall the engine rpm's going up when I have the auto hi-lo shut off, because I'm letting up on it before it goes under 1500 RPM. Kind of like having no governor

/ Stall Guard on The GL40's #2  
Being used to the older hydro's as much as I've run the new ones I'll have to watch for the actions of the auto stall. I normally just set them tight and start using them.

/ Stall Guard on The GL40's #3  
I am not sure I am understanding the quesstion or the issue. I am very familar with the GL40 transmissions (been to several classes on them) and would be happy to help. What is it that you do not like of are trying to get it to do? Please understand, not trying to be difficult, just not sure what you are getting at. Post more and maybe we can help you out.

/ Stall Guard on The GL40's
I have the stall guard on and when the engine gets under a load the RPM drops way down then I let up on travel speed to get the RPM back up. Its like running with no governor. When mowing and run into heavy grass engine rpm go way down before it even wants to pick back up. I have a B7800 and can pull the same mower, same grass and the engine well drop about 3 to400 rpm and then the engine well go to work trying to get the rpm back up.
Hope everyone can understand now. Thanks for all the help!!!

I had to call the dealer about something else and I ask them about it. He said he wasn't sure how to do it and he would check into it.

/ Stall Guard on The GL40's #6  
When using stall guard, when the engine RPM decreases (due to load) and the transmission is engaged, the ECU will cause the HST to "de-stroke" and stop pumping as much fluid. Once the HST has been "de-stroked" enought, it will stay at that level until the engine RPM increases again (removal of the external load, such as thick grass). As long as the load is applied, the RPM will not fully recover. In this condition, the external load on the machine is enough to bring the engine RPM down to a near stall level. The stall gaurd feature simply prevents the engine from stalling out by removing the load (or some of the load) placed on it by the HST transmission. By the way, it is not healthy to keep you tractor in this condition for long period of time (several minutes). If that is the case, you need to switch to a lower travel gear or switch the HST to the "turtle" setting.

If you can cut the same area with a smaller machine (but same size mower), then I would look closer at your engine, not your transmission. Perhaps there is an issue there such and dirty air filter, fuel filter, or contaminated fuel. I hope this helps some, if you have any other questoins, please feel free to ask.

Texas Fella
Thanks that helps, but I would like for it to do it sooner, other then letting the rpm drop down so much before it kicks in. And I don't let it do it very often. All the things you said to check are done often. Just about everytime I use it.
By looking at the parts list there is a sensor that hooks up to the governor. Is that what tells the hst to slow down?

Texas Fella
In the back of my manuel it tells you how to get into the ECU to make changes, like if you change tires from r4 to ag the MPH has to be changed, and ect. I'm not going there..... I'm going to look at that part of the manuel real good until I understand for sure just what they are saying. That was why I ask if anyone had there's reset.

/ Stall Guard on The GL40's #9  
You can make (or actually check) the adjustment for the tires, it's no big deal. Nothing you can mess up that can't be un-done in a matter or minutes. All the tire thing will do is affect the MPH read-out. As for adjuting the stall gaurd, no real way to do it. You may want to have a dealer put the unit on a dyno and check hp if it is getting bogged down much more than your old tractor.