Stabilizing an out building, ledge and water

/ Stabilizing an out building, ledge and water #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
Some years back I built a covered space 24 X 36. Call it a pole build. 7, 6X6 pt posts supporting a roof.

The back side hit ledge , sloping inward at about 3 feet. depth. ( frost level?)

Over the years (6 or so) It is evident that the ledge below defines the ground water flow. Winter and spring frosting and heaves show a considerable amount of movement, but the structure is quite flexible and had held up well. I feel the building has a rather uncertain future, i.e. 2 of 7 posts "move around" seasonally.

When first preparing the site, Drainage perf-pipe was put in connected to a "french drain" that serves the area. The back grounds were sloped away into a small ditch behind the structure (it is up hill and "up ledge" beyond, and great wild strawberry grounds! )

Now I would like to poor a slab for the interior (Alaskan) and am thinking of adding structural walls to at least two of the sides.

I would be OK with some movement at cut lines in a slab, but wondering about spacing of cuts? Also there is the issue of Insulation under a slab. After all, frost heaves can't happen if the ground does not freeze.

So I'm thinking...

Scrape off the 4 inches of pea stone that is on the surface now, Level the area well out to the roof line.
Place 2 inch "pink board" or what ever rigid insulation board is available today.
Grid the the area in the 4X8 module to match the insulation. (What to use to make the grids? Possible screed levels??? I'm working with a spase crew! ;-)
Pour 4 inch concrete with 8 inch perimeter beams. Let it sit a couple of winters (so Vt) see how it moves..

Then stud wall if all seems good.

Oh, the present structure has been fine, but it gets dusty inside, and is never really dry

Looking for comment from climate familiar folks (You Zone 7 folks got nothing ;-)

I find the sloping ledge and water flow the biggest issues, The posts are sitting in it, but not anchored.

TIA

/ Stabilizing an out building, ledge and water #2  
Maybe dig down to the ledge, drill holes into it with a hammer drill, epoxy rebar into the ledge, make some rebar structures going up, slip a sonotube over it and pour concrete piers every X feet across that wall area. Leave enough rebar out the top of the sonotubes to tie into the 8" perimeter beams that you'd pour over them?

Just thinking. Maybe consult an engineer, which I'm not.

/ Stabilizing an out building, ledge and water #3  
Northern vermont or southern? Whats your elevation? The severity of a typical winter season in VT seems to vary a lot now. I have a similar climate of occasionally deep winter and lots of freeze/thaw here, but my soil is pure sand so I get off easy.

If you insulate the floor slab, the ground will still freeze around the perimeter. Unless maybe you extend insulation underground outside the perimeter of the building also (can cover with stone so it's visibly and functionally invisible).

Just be aware that you're talking about buying $1500 of insulation boards, they aint cheap lately.

I'm trying to understand how you only used 7 posts for a 24x36... lol. Post a pic or two, we'll be nice.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT