Srongly Considering Century

/ Srongly Considering Century #1  

wejones

Bronze Member
Tractor
Century 2535
I have been following the TBN forums for over a year now as I ponder which new tractor to purchase. I recently sold my reliable JD 750 and have wanted for quite some time to purchase something in the 30 -35 hp range with a bigger loader (I keep lifting the rear wheels with logs for my sawmill, and yes I know I need rear weights). I have been by all of the local dealers several times until I think they are getting tired of seeing me. I keep being drawn back to the Century tractors as they just have a lot sturdier build than the Kubotas, JD's or NH's. My base needs are sturdy loader, strong 3 pt hitch lift capacity and compact size. The century 2535 with c-50 FEL fits my needs and specs out better than the JD 4310, K-3130, or NH TC33DA and is better in price also. I live in a rural part of Va. where JD, NH, and Kubota reign supreme. So one of my main concerns is purchasing a tractor that is not as common if fate should dictate a sale. The other is the reliability of the unit. Now I have ready every post in this forum and have read of very few complaints. And from what I see of the tractors on the lots, they are well built. There are at least 3 maybe 4 dealers within 100 miles so I feel confident that parts are available if and when needed.

So could someone tell me why I should not venture out into new territory and buy the brand not chosen as often. I still have to sell the CFO on this course of action and want to have all of my ducks in a row. I have driven different model tractors for over 40 years of all the three major brands. We even have two of the HST kubotas at work, and have a 30 year old 3000 ford at home. I welcome any suggestions and comments. Willie Jones

/ Srongly Considering Century #2  
If you read your post you will see WHY you should buy the century. They are solid tractors and they will be around a long time. You don't here of warrenty problems here like you hear from the big three. Every thing I hear is that century goes out of their way to satisfy. I know that I am VERY happy with mine. I bought my tractor to be a tractor and not a play thing. If I was going to buy it to be my lawn mower then maybe I would have looked at something else, In fact I'm looking at a ztm now to mow grass but , to do fel work, field work, and hauling wood back thru the muddy woods my Century can't be beat.
leaddog /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Srongly Considering Century #3  
I just bought one of the new 3647 (47hp with the new Cummins engine) and it is a dream to use. Strong, heavy, and easy to maneuver. Plus a whole lot cheaper.
Compare specs such as power, weight, clearance, turning radius, and especially ease of fueling, and you'll buy the century.

Anthony

/ Srongly Considering Century #4  
I think all of us that have bought a Century/Branson have went through exactly what you are going through now. We all worried about buying an "unknown" but after weighing all the pluses and minuses (the only minus for me being the unknown and distance to the dealer) I do not think you will find a Century owner who does not feel they made the right choice.

Being new, Century has to work extra hard to make a name for itself, which means they have to work extra hard to solve a problem when one arrises. As you have probably read in a lot of the other posts the big three sometimes get the "god" syndrome of take it or leave it. They are living off of their name from the past. Granted they are great machines but you are paying a premium for the name. And face it, A tractor is meant to get down and dirty and do the work first and look pretty in the driveway second. Although I love the look of my Century in the drive after its bath. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Srongly Considering Century #5  
Willie, ditto what the others said about having doubts in the beginning. I thought I had to have JD for about 20 yrs....but now I have a branson. I think it is well built and heavy...plus very stable on hilly ground...and probably got into my unit for about 7-10 k less than kubota with comparable specs.

As for the log thing.... I've been clearing a wooded area for a barn site. I'm attaching a photo....would this be what you are talking about? I think it would be easier with front forks or grapple, however the toothbar does help me lift the small and medium sized logs.

Sassafraspete

Attachments

• 402731-logs1.jpg
    402731-logs1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 313
   / Srongly Considering Century
Pete, Thanks for your insights. My logs are a little bigger than yours but that is one of the key uses for my tractor. I made a set of forks for my little JD and they worked vey well. But my logs were and are just too large for it. A compact trator can do an incredible amount of work with the 4WD. I once dragged a 30' log 16" in diameter out of a fairly level area and routinely dragged 18' and 24' logs of similar diameter with the JD 750. Slowly but surely and safely it hauled them out.

What is that end paint you have on your logs as a sealant?

The CFO has been away on a business trip so we shall have to discuss this in detail when she returns and take some trips to the dealers for her to see and test drive. Thanks Willie Jones

/ Srongly Considering Century #8  
Willie, you are right...those logs are some eastern red cedar and poplar and are not that large in diameter. They are cut to 8' 4". I hate to burn something in my woodstove that I can turn into lumber (the woodworker in me). I hope someday to have a small portable sawmill. I haven't tried lifting any of the 2' diameter oak. If you are serious about the century, I would go the larger frame...has more weight, and you can put a bigger loader on it. The guy who saws for me with a woodmizer, has a Branson 3520. That's the same as my tractor, only mine has a turbo on the engine which bumps it to 40 hp. I guess the 3520 works for him in his sawmilling.

The end coating is great...my first time to try it. It is Anchorseal sold by UC Coatings. You can order via the internet by going to www.uccoatings.com. They will also send you a sample for free I think, if you want to try some. You can get it in clear, red, and green. (don't know why I picked red...to match the tractor maybe?). Anyway, this stuff is great...it is a water based emulsion of paraffin wax. You can spray it or paint it on with a brush...and clean your brush up with hot water and soap. You need to use it right after cutting the log....sooner the better. I had some walnut, oak, and cherry cut a couple yrs ago, and used polyurethane...and that wasn't so hot. Wish I'd had this stuff then....would have saved a lot of the wood from end checking.

Anyway, good luck....

pete

/ Srongly Considering Century
Thanks to all of you for your helpful comments. Pete, I will check out that coating . I could have really used that a few months ago. Willie Jones