Squirrels in attic

/ Squirrels in attic #11  
I don't think I would want the thing dying in my attic then stinking up the place. I don't worry about the dog as we keep him tied up when outside. I do think however the chickens would peck at him if they found him. I let my chickens free range.

I have no intention of releasing the squirrel, I plan to give it a "bath" in the pond or possibly a little lead from a 22.

Glad you found the hole. (I had to replace a piece of siding once. They are destructive critters.)

I agree with you that poison isn't an option now. The only dead one I found in the yard did stink bad. (I'm sure you know gunfire isn't an option. I had a neighbor once who was about to. That's a long story and I need a full keyboard to tell it.)

Keep after it with the trap. It will eventually work.

Story #3. The soft-hearted neighbor saw me "feeding" the JOB with peanut butter on them. She thought I was great. Even asked what it was called and where I got it. Off to the store she went all-excited. She didn't speak to me for weeks after that. Her husband just laughed.

Story #4. Got up one morning to check the trap. I couldn't tell at first what was in it. The trap was completely full. The critter couldn't go back, couldn't go forward. There was fur sticking out of both sides. I'm not sure how the doors closed. It was a large possum. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it possible.

I need to find a full keyboard for the neighbor and gun story.

Reminds me, I have had two squirrels that I thought had succumbed to drowning that cam back to life. First was out for at least five minutes and came to while being carried about by my GSD. That was a sight. They both freaked out. now when I use water for the dispatch, I leave them in for a while after they have stopped moving. By a while, I mean about five minutes. That seems to work.

Good luck.

/ Squirrels in attic #12  
Was this it?:

Attachments

• free cat.jpg
    free cat.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 85
   / Squirrels in attic
Well the dog alerted me to the squirrel leaving. I went up in the attic to reinspect and found another spot were I think he got out. I guess I'm glad I didn't see it before it left. I patched that hole so hopefully he will not be back. I left the trap up in the attic just in case he finds his way back in. I would have rather caught the thing, that way I know for sure he would not return, (bath time). I was outside most of the day, kept the 22 handy just in case he decided to stop back to visit.

/ Squirrels in attic
Glad you found the hole. (I had to replace a piece of siding once. They are destructive critters.)

I agree with you that poison isn't an option now. The only dead one I found in the yard did stink bad. (I'm sure you know gunfire isn't an option. I had a neighbor once who was about to. That's a long story and I need a full keyboard to tell it.)

Keep after it with the trap. It will eventually work.

Story #3. The soft-hearted neighbor saw me "feeding" the JOB with peanut butter on them. She thought I was great. Even asked what it was called and where I got it. Off to the store she went all-excited. She didn't speak to me for weeks after that. Her husband just laughed.

Story #4. Got up one morning to check the trap. I couldn't tell at first what was in it. The trap was completely full. The critter couldn't go back, couldn't go forward. There was fur sticking out of both sides. I'm not sure how the doors closed. It was a large possum. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it possible.

I need to find a full keyboard for the neighbor and gun story.

Reminds me, I have had two squirrels that I thought had succumbed to drowning that cam back to life. First was out for at least five minutes and came to while being carried about by my GSD. That was a sight. They both freaked out. now when I use water for the dispatch, I leave them in for a while after they have stopped moving. By a while, I mean about five minutes. That seems to work.

Good luck.

I know gunfire is not an option inside the house, outside is another story. ;=)

/ Squirrels in attic #15  
I know gunfire is not an option inside the house, outside is another story. ;=)

I disagree brokenknee and recommend a heavy gauge SHOTGUN!

I recall seeing this demonstrated in a Saturday morning (animated) documentary... years ago. I believe that the result was that, although the squirrel survived, there was no attic remaining for it to return to. PROBLEM SOLVED.

/ Squirrels in attic
I disagree brokenknee and recommend a heavy gauge SHOTGUN!

I recall seeing this demonstrated in a Saturday morning (animated) documentary... years ago. I believe that the result was that, although the squirrel survived, there was no attic remaining for it to return to. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Shotgun would be better, not as good as shot as I once was.

/ Squirrels in attic #17  
Hard to keep one out if it wants in. Giving your cat access to the attic makes the squirrel no longer want in.

It has been several years now, no squirrels, and the cat still wants to visit the attic when it has the chance.

:)

Bruce

/ Squirrels in attic #18  
Get a 110 conibare put peanut butter on the wires = dead tree rat

/ Squirrels in attic #19  
Get a 110 conibare put peanut butter on the wires = dead tree rat

I second that!

I had one shortly after I moved in here 21 years ago. The house stood empty for a year, except for the squirrels. One would sit at the corner of the house and chatter at me for hours at a time. 12 gauge loaded with rock salt in the face did the deed.
5 years ago we weeded out ALL of the tree rats that were hanging around here.....16 cats that hunt took care of them.(I rescue cats).

/ Squirrels in attic #20  
I was going to pop a raccoon in the attic with a 22 once, but decided I wouldn't be able to retrieve him from the passage hole he was in. As far as getting rid of all the squirrels, I killed 10 in the yard one year. They were eating a strip up the south side of ears of corn in garden. They were gone a few weeks, then I think12 came back to replace them.

Last edited: