SQ600 -Can I run heavier blades?

/ SQ600 -Can I run heavier blades? #1  

cpocobb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3510
I just found and bought a pair of bush hog blades on CL. They are identical to the blades on my cutter with one exception - they're 1" wider. Mine has 3" wide blades, these are 4" wide. That means an extra 1" wide x 24&3/4" long by 1/2" thick piece of steel per blade. Is the extra weight gonna be a problem?

/ SQ600 -Can I run heavier blades? #2  
Is the mounting bolt hole the same size ??
Is the mounting bolt hole the same distance from the far cutting end ??

If you mounted up the blade and turned 360* would the extra 1/2" on either side of the hole hit anything or cause a bind or problem.... ??

If not, I'd be tempted to try it......
Use caution
Keep safe....

/ SQ600 -Can I run heavier blades? #3  
The blade for the SQ600 is part number 36BH and they run $29.21 from Messicks - I know this because I just bought two yetserday and the order is sitting here at my desk. Are the one's on CL significantly cheaper? If not, then I'd just go with new ones.

/ SQ600 -Can I run heavier blades?
Thanks for the replies. Yep. Everything else is the same. No binding, just heavier to turn. Already bought them - both for $30 and no tax/shipping.

Last edited:
   / SQ600 -Can I run heavier blades?
I bought them but am now second guessing myself about using them. Any other thoughts?

/ SQ600 -Can I run heavier blades? #6  
The blade for the SQ600 is part number 36BH and they run $29.21 from Messicks - I know this because I just bought two yetserday and the order is sitting here at my desk. Are the one's on CL significantly cheaper? If not, then I'd just go with new ones.

7555's can be run on that cutter as well. 7555's outsell 36's here by about 10 to 1 for 5 foot cutters. (actually 20 to 2)

/ SQ600 -Can I run heavier blades? #7  
Messick's shows the 7555BH (new part number) at $34.25. Looks like this is the "up lift" blade. They show 3 times the stock on this blade as they did the 36BH I ordered. Probably a good "upgrade". So where was this post when I was ordering??? :laughing:

/ SQ600 -Can I run heavier blades? #8  
I would take a good look at the structure the heavier blade is going to connect to. It may not have a strength margin suitable for stresses of hittling things with the heavy blade.

/ SQ600 -Can I run heavier blades? #9  
I would take a good look at the structure the heavier blade is going to connect to. It may not have a strength margin suitable for stresses of hittling things with the heavy blade.

Just a guess, but I'd say a Squealer blade bar is no less than 1-1/4"x3-1/2". Even the heavier blade will be at risk before the bar. If Bush Hog lists a 7555BH in the SQ160 parts catalog, I'm ok with selling them in the numbers I do.

/ SQ600 -Can I run heavier blades? #10  
7555BH means nothing to me except it was referred to as uplift. That doesnt speak to a mass comparison. However, the blade bar you quoted sounds adequate for the 33% heavier blade the op introduced.
larry