Spur of the moment 4520 purchase?!?!?!?

/ Spur of the moment 4520 purchase?!?!?!? #1  

Farmwithjunk

Tractor
Where do I begin.....
My old delapidated 3000 Ford is giving out. The Massey Ferguson 150 is equally tired. The 2440 is flat too big for some chores. When the 2 oldies get sold, I don't have a loader anymore. So---------

I've talked myself into a new tractor. Local dealer is working up an offer on trading both old tractors on a 4520 (E-Hydro/loader) I'll know tomorrow what "a great deal" is.

So here's where you all come in. I need all the opinions on a 4520 (He's also working up an offer on a 4720, but the 4520 is all I need) I need 'em quick-like. I've started looking through the archives, but some fresh opinions will work better.

What's right with the 4520? What's WRONG with it? How's the E-Hydro for hard lugging? (Any tractor of mine will get worked hard from time to time)

Let's have it guys!

/ Spur of the moment 4520 purchase?!?!?!? #2  
Having owned a 4520 for all of 35 hours so far, I have been very pleased. The tractor will have all the power you need to do your work, with the e hydro. I would not be concerned about its pulling ability with that transmission. So far, I have had no problems with mine, and the fuel economy seems to be in line with the 4310 and 3720 I had before. The only thing I can think of I do not like is visibility. Even with the sloped hood, I have to strain a bit to see where I am going with loader work and the ability to see around the machine is not as good as I am used to, but I have owned smaller machines in the past. I think John Deere is not as good as say, New Holland, in this area, but otherwise I have no complaints. The engine runs smooth and is quiet when it warms up, and the torque is excellent. Unless your dealer can get the prices VERY close, I would say that a 4520 would do just fine. There should be only a miniscule difference between it and a 4720, and not enough to say much extra for. Hopefully this helps.

John M

/ Spur of the moment 4520 purchase?!?!?!? #3  
I have a 4720 with 71 hours on it and I love it. I call it the swiss army knife of tractors. I love the HST trans and overall it is nice. There are some things I would have gotten different on mine. I would get it pretty loaded with the automotive cruise, rear valve, adjustable links (i think that is how you say it), etc.

The 4720 has plenty of power, but the price difference between a 4520 and a 4720 was not much (less than $1K). So, I figured bigger was better but in reality it might not have mattered.

I do wish they put the 4wd in a different place (i knock it out sometimes with my leg).

Any specifica questions?

D.

/ Spur of the moment 4520 purchase?!?!?!? #4  
I guess the heart of the deal will depend on your 2 tractors' trade in value.

Plus, you would have to change your "handle/nickname /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif"

/ Spur of the moment 4520 purchase?!?!?!? #5  
Been looking real hard at the JD 4x20 tractors. Haven't heard anything but good, with the exception of a leaky battery.

I know I'll get blasted for this on this thread, but the Kubota 5030HST compares favorably if price is an issue. They also have a little better financing right now.

I was very surprised at how light a touch the JD e-hydro was. Seems like it'd be easy on the calves all day long.

Sorry, that's all I've got.

/ Spur of the moment 4520 purchase?!?!?!? #6  
Oh, one more thing. I, among others, would be interested in hearing about the deal you get. These machines seem to be priced pretty widely.

John M

/ Spur of the moment 4520 purchase?!?!?!? #7  
I have about 100 hrs. on my 4520 and am well pleased with the pushing and pulling power. It's really a nice tractor. The only disappointing item on the tractor is the lifting capacity of the 400cx loader.I may be expecting too much ,but it does pretty decent. I gave $ 24,500 for the tractor and loader . It has the extending link arms,power-reverser, r-4 tires, 400cx loader, brush guard protector. I am located in northeast arkansas. I priced this tractor in about a fifty mile radius from my area with several dealers and all started about the $28,500.00 price. Hope this info is helpful.

/ Spur of the moment 4520 purchase?!?!?!? #8  
Remember, that $24,500 is with the PowerReverser tranny, not the eHydro.

Like John said, there does seem to be quite a range of prices so be sure to post yours when you're done. It's too late to do me any good (I think my 4720 may have reached the dealer today, but it's not set up yet). Good luck.

-- Grant

/ Spur of the moment 4520 purchase?!?!?!?
Thanks for the replies! I'm at work now. I'll be headed over to the dealer at around 3PM. He's working up a proposal on the 4520, a 4720, and the loader for either. The 4520 looks to be my favorite. It will replace a 42 HP and a 39 HP tractor. (Both 2WD, tired, and in need of being overhauled) The 4520 has extendable lower links, will have rear remotes added, As I mentioned E-Hydro, a full set of front weights, R-4's (should be OK although I tend to favor AG tires. Since it will be a loader tractor, the R-4s might be the hot set-up)

I'm thinking seriously about selling my little farm to my son. At that point, we'll keep the 45 acres where our new home is located. The 4520 would be perfect for taking care of a place that size. My plan has always been to retire in my mid-50's. Looks like I can swing that in about 3 or 4 years. Just looking to set things up for that day.

/ Spur of the moment 4520 purchase?!?!?!? #10  
You should think about cleaning up that 3000 and advertising in a local paper. They are a good machine and there is considerable demand. I just sold my 2000 (similar but 36 hp 3 cyl diesel) for $4400 while the NH dealer had only offered me $1800 on a trade. All I did was wash it and patch up some of the sheet metal. I probably spent about 3 hours doing the work. It too was well used with around 7000 hrs but the engine was still strong. You are really going to like that turbocharged JD 4 cylinder compared to that old rattly 3 cylinder ford. I ended up getting a JD 4120 pwrrev for $ 22700. I am very happy with it so far.