Spring and Well Water Analysis

/ Spring and Well Water Analysis #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I'm wondering how many of us have our water tested and if so what you find.... and then what you do about it, if anything.

I have our basic well water tested by sending a sample to the local A&M college testing lab every few years. I ask for what they call their "routine package" - which costs about $100 and looks at pH, hardness, conductivity, and about ten common chemical compounds that include fertilizer components like nitrates, chlorates, sulphates, potassium etc.

At the same time I also purchase their "individual element" analysis for about another hundred dollars which measures another 20 individual elements like iron, manganese, fluoride, copper, lead, selenium, zinc....on and on for about a total of 20 elements.

The results show that our water is pretty much average for our area. It is slightly acidic, very low in all the fertilizer compounds & nutrients, and slightly high in manganese. There is no bacteriological contamination at all.
rScotty

/ Spring and Well Water Analysis #2  
Yes we had it done. Sounds like about the same cost for similar tests. I am lucky in that my water is great- basically bottled water....minus the plastic.
I also follow the recognized guidelines and add a chlorine tab or bleach every year.
Downside is my well is 600’ - although they hit water at 200’ - it wasn’t enough.

/ Spring and Well Water Analysis #3  
Had my spring tested about twenty years ago. I was mainly concerned about pathogenic organisms, e-coli, fecal coliform, etc. Its definitely hard water but otherwise meets all drinking water standards. I do nothing to it except pump it into the house.

Had the spring expanded with an extend-a-hoe when we moved here in '82. Pumped it at 325 gpm for 3 1/2 days to reduce the silt, clay & sand. At the end of that 84 hours of continuous pumping the water level was within 1/4 inch of were it started.

/ Spring and Well Water Analysis #4  
I'm trying to find someone to test our water. I've emailed places on Yelp that are highly rated, but received no responses.

We're looking to put in a whole house filter, but want to make sure we are targeting the correct contaminants.

How do people find a reputable tester? (none of my neighbors I've talked to have tested their well water since buying their homes, where it was done as part of the inspection process and they don't know who did it - same for us)

/ Spring and Well Water Analysis #5  
davrow - check with your local Health Dept. They may do certain testing for free or small charge. They should certainly know who will do it if they don't.

/ Spring and Well Water Analysis #7  
davrow - check with your local Health Dept. They may do certain testing for free or small charge. They should certainly know who will do it if they don't.

This is how I found the local lab. BTW you typically collect the sample. They don’t come out and do the test on site. It’s all done in a lab.

/ Spring and Well Water Analysis
Had my spring tested about twenty years ago. I was mainly concerned about pathogenic organisms, e-coli, fecal coliform, etc. Its definitely hard water but otherwise meets all drinking water standards. I do nothing to it except pump it into the house.

Had the spring expanded with an extend-a-hoe when we moved here in '82. Pumped it at 325 gpm for 3 1/2 days to reduce the silt, clay & sand. At the end of that 84 hours of continuous pumping the water level was within 1/4 inch of were it started.

WOW! That's a lot of water. Must be a big spring. What did you use to do that much pumping?
We bought our JD530 from a farmer who was using it at full throttle with a PTO-driven pump to irrigate his corn. Would that pump 325 gpm? I don't know... It had to have been expensive in fuel, though.
rScotty

/ Spring and Well Water Analysis #10  
Agree about the health dept...in this county they send someone out to collect the sample and it's $20...I had a well tested by a county in FL and it was $10 owner supplied the sample...

FWIW there are self test kits available via the typical merchandise sites online...