SPREADING Rear Wheels on an R1 equipped Branson 4225H?

/ SPREADING Rear Wheels on an R1 equipped Branson 4225H? #1  

arnoldziffel

Gold Member
Tractor
Branson 4225h, Mahindra 2516, several Toro Wheel Horse 522xi machines.
Hello,

Can the REAR R1 tires/wheels be spread a few inches wider on a Branson 4225H?

Via wheel adjustment, NOT using spacers?

Thanks.

/ SPREADING Rear Wheels on an R1 equipped Branson 4225H? #2  
Yes it can. You can go from 64" to 72" according to the operators manual.

Ignore the dimensions in the picture as is it from the 15 series manual.

596304-spreading-rear-wheels-r1-equipped-wheel-tread-jpg

Attachments

• wheel tread.jpg
    wheel tread.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 596
   / SPREADING Rear Wheels on an R1 equipped Branson 4225H? #3  
Yes.

And nice reply from ptsg

/ SPREADING Rear Wheels on an R1 equipped Branson 4225H?
Thank-you for the responses.

A follow-up question:

Are there just the two tire/wheel positions, 64" or 72"? Or are there incremental positions in between? Say 70" for example?

Thanks.

/ SPREADING Rear Wheels on an R1 equipped Branson 4225H? #5  
You have 4 different positions that will change incrementally as shown in the previous picture. For the life of me I can't find anywhere the same diagram for your tractor with the proper dimensions.

You change it by flipping the dish of the rim and by playing with the rim itself. It's a bit hard to explain as English is not my native language.

I don't have closer pictures of the rim, but if you look closely you can still see on the rear wheel how the rim is setup.

IMG_20181228_120706.jpg

Last edited:
   / SPREADING Rear Wheels on an R1 equipped Branson 4225H? #6  
You have 4 different positions that will change incrementally as shown in the previous picture. For the life of me I can't find anywhere the same diagram for your tractor with the proper dimensions.

You change it by flipping the dish of the rim and by playing with the rim itself. It's a bit hard to explain as English is not my native language.

I don't have closer pictures of the rim, but if you look closely you can still see on the rear wheel how the rim is setup.

View attachment 596343

If you look closely at ptsg's picture you can see that he is at one of the narrower positions,
if he unbolted the outer portion of the rim and moved it behind/inside of the wheel center it would be approximately 2" narrower.
By unbolting and flipping the wheel center over so the concave is facing out is going to allow for two more wheel positions,
by placing the out wheel section inside or outside of the center section.
And the as usually the outer wheel loops are not in the center of the rim there are also more steps in or out by moving the rim to the other side of the tractor.
So up to 4 possible widths with the wheel inboard or outboard of the center and the center dished in or out,
then swap the rims side to side and have 4 more possible.

When spreading tires / wheels, do you do just the REARS? Or do you do the FRONTS too?

Also, to get to the maximum 72" measurement, does that involve actually dismounting the rubber tire from the steel wheel as you flip / reverse / adjust the wheels?

Thanks.

/ SPREADING Rear Wheels on an R1 equipped Branson 4225H? #8  
You can do the fronts and rears. On the fronts you can just switch the wheels between left and right. You can't just flip it, otherwise the tire tread will be facing rearwards.

You don't need to remove the tire from the rim.

Maybe the dealer can do it for you? Whenever you get the tractor.

Maybe this video can clarify some things.

Thanks

The video is helpful.

The tractor (4225) as it sits now measures 66" outside lug to outside lug. For mostly flat field mowing and just an occasional use on a very gentle slope (no hills) do you think the current 66" setting is safe?

When Unbolting the rims to make the width wider, will that badly beat-up the wheel paint?

Thanks

/ SPREADING Rear Wheels on an R1 equipped Branson 4225H? #10  
On my F36 (3515R), I don't run the widest config and from time to time I have to mow a really steep hill. I've always felt the tractor to very stable. Although I have the rear tires filled.

Anyways, the 25 series is wider than the 15 series, height is about the same, so the 25 series can only be more stable than the 15 series. Even in the standard config.

The best thing to do is to know your tractor first, get a few hours on it to see how it behaves and then decide if you really need to spread the wheels.

About beat-up the paint, yes it might get beat up slightly around the nuts but you probably can touch up the paint if you can find the right color.