Spreaders

/ Spreaders #1  

Buckeyeman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota T2290
Does anyone make a heavy duty plastic or some type of poly material spreader for a 3 point hook-up to spread salt and fertilizer that won't rust?

/ Spreaders #2  
There are plastic hopper pto spreaders, google 3 point pto spreaders & you will find them.

/ Spreaders #3  
Buckeyeman said:
. . . that won't rust?
The problem you will find is that the spinner and the mechanisms will still rust. I have a HERD M96 that has a galvanized hopper and THICK solid cast metal spinner/gears that has held up very very well. There are some brands that have stainless steel spinners and parts under a plastic hopper, I can't recall the names of any of them.

At one time I had an AgriFab unit. I gave it away. The guy who took it got a really bad deal. I'll never buy another AgriFab implement again.

/ Spreaders #4  
For what it's worth, fertilizing being our primary business, the steele sitrex pto spreaders are great, simple to service,easy to adjust and they last. We fertilize cemeterys,athletic feilds and commercial propertys, and the kubota/sitrex set up is sweet!

/ Spreaders #5  
Herd spreaders seem to be the "gold standard". I would like to get the 1200 some day to re-seed and fertilize 16 acres couple times a year.

Check out: HerdSeeders

Agri-Fab spreaders are total junk.

You may want to try posting this question on the "Attachments" forum.

/ Spreaders #7  
lawn_king said:
For what it's worth, fertilizing being our primary business, the steele sitrex pto spreaders are great, simple to service,easy to adjust and they last. We fertilize cemeterys,athletic feilds and commercial propertys, and the kubota/sitrex set up is sweet!

I guess that we have opposing views on the Sitrex. I have one that I used for 3 years and this past summer, it just fell apart at the spinner section. The rust got under the powder coating and the metal just rusted away. I replaced it with a Hurd spreader. I believe that the Sitrex might have faired better if it were painted.
Dusty

/ Spreaders #8  
I have the Herd M96 now for three years and love it. Has not failed me one bit.

murph

/ Spreaders #9  
thcri said:
I have the Herd M96 now for three years and love it. Has not failed me one bit.

murph

I have a very old one of these I was considering reconditioning or seeing if it will work. What do you use yours for? This seems to be a fairly narrow hopper vs the wide ones that are fairly common - why is this?

Thanks for your help.

/ Spreaders #10  
Dusty said:
I guess that we have opposing views on the Sitrex. I have one that I used for 3 years and this past summer, it just fell apart at the spinner section. The rust got under the powder coating and the metal just rusted away. I replaced it with a Hurd spreader. I believe that the Sitrex might have faired better if it were painted.
Dusty
I wash down my spreader after each use and coat it with oil. I spray paint them with a very expensive galvi paint when new. Very happy with sitrex, very unhappy with the landpride, junk in one season!