Sprayer recommendation

/ Sprayer recommendation #1  

caprater1

Tractor
John Deere
I'm needing a recommendation for a sprayer for a project. I'll be spraying an asphalt emulsion over milled asphalt as a tack coat. I used a garden pump sprayer (or tried to) and it was constantly getting clogged even without the filter/screen. The material is pretty thick but once reduced it's not too thick but it has something in it that's the texture of sand that settles to the bottom pretty quickly.
I was thinking about using a pump similar to what would be used in an RV. like the pic below. Any other recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_20240430_034755.jpg
    IMG_20240430_034755.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
   / Sprayer recommendation #2  
   / Sprayer recommendation
I don't know if it's typical of the paint sprayers, but when using one in the past I've had them clog up with just paint. Dont they have filters/screens in the inlet?

/ Sprayer recommendation
It's pretty big. About 250x12. I was really hoping to either roll or squeegee it on but it's on a good slope and it's also millings. So I took a 5gallon bucket and drilled holes in it, filled it and walked around quickly to spread it. The areas where I was turning around I wasn't fast enough and a lot ran off on the grass. I'm sure if I try to squeegee I'll have even more runoff plus I'll be picking gravel around with it.

/ Sprayer recommendation
Sorry I wasn't trying to shoot down your suggestions. I'm still open to more. In fact I'm planning to have at least 2-3 options available once I start the project so I can finish it either way.

There's gotta be a good solution. The reason I thought about the RV pump is because its a diaphragm pump, doesn't have a filter on the inlet, I can attach a garden hose end sprayer for even distribution, and I already have one.

Those seal and roller kits are all made for hot mix and hot applied asphalt. Since I'm doing this with recycled millings it won't work. But after I apply this tac coat and use my plate compactor on it, it'll look like paved road instead of gravel. They say it won't, but I have done part of my driveway already. No loose gravel there either. I'm impressed. It looks so much better and doesn't wash away on the slope with every rain.

Last edited:
   / Sprayer recommendation #7  
Sounds like something fun to play around with. I've tried some unorthodox methods while looking for viable solutions to stuff like this. One time I whipped up a tank (used an old refrigerant jug) with an air connection to pressurize it and a siphon tube connected to a hose to force the product out of it. Maybe a little sketchy, but it worked OK. It was a pain to drag the compressor around to use it. With that, there was no pump to get clogged.

Regardless how you would get it to flow, you may want to try flattening a piece of tubing for the nozzle. Done that by inserting a flat piece of metal in the pipe while pounding on it so it didn't close off. A little playing around and you can get a fan pattern.

/ Sprayer recommendation
Sorry I wasn't trying to shoot down your suggestions. I'm still open to more. In fact I'm planning to have at least 2-3 options available once I start the project so I can finish it either way.
There's gotta be a good solution. The reason I thought about the RV pump is because its a diaphragm pump, doesn't have a filter on the inlet, I can attach a garden hose end sprayer for even distribution, and I already have one.
Sounds like something fun to play around with. I've tried some unorthodox methods while looking for viable solutions to stuff like this. One time I whipped up a tank (used an old refrigerant jug) with an air connection to pressurize it and a siphon tube connected to a hose to force the product out of it. Maybe a little sketchy, but it worked OK. It was a pain to drag the compressor around to use it. With that, there was no pump to get clogged.

Regardless how you would get it to flow, you may want to try flattening a piece of tubing for the nozzle. Done that by inserting a flat piece of metal in the pipe while pounding on it so it didn't close off. A little playing around and you can get a fan pattern.
Now I think you're on to something. I have something similar to what you described. It's sold as a pump, but it's not really. Actually have several. One that's for bleeding brakes as a pusher, another as a siphon, and another to fill transmissions from under the car (the new ones without dipstick). Those are pretty small. With enough epoxy and duct tape I bet I can make one from a 5 gallon bucket. None of my refrigerant bottles are close enough to empty. I'm gonna make a fan sprayer like you mentioned. Thanks.
Cindy

/ Sprayer recommendation #9  
Be sure to think it through before using a homebrew pressure vessel. I went with the refrigerant jug as a starting point because it was built for maybe 4X the pressure I could potentially apply to it. Still kinda winced when I charged it up:)

I couldn't think of all the possible defects created by welding / modifying it.

/ Sprayer recommendation #10  
The last time I had mine coated, a guy backed down my driveway with a large tank in the bed of his pickup, a pump, wand like at a car wash and about 100 ft. of hose. IIRC, the tank had a heater and an agitator in it to keep the stuff from solidifying.

I'm sure that rig was not cheap but my point is that there are sprayers are made to do the job, the problem is finding someone close to home that has one.

He did my 16x170 driveway in about 10 minutes.