Spotting scope for hunting and wildlife watching?

/ Spotting scope for hunting and wildlife watching? #1  

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
What is everyone using for a spotter scope for hunting and just plain wildlife viewing ? Today I purchased a used Nikon prostaff 16X48X65 spotter.Always thought it might be nice to leave the spotter on my tripod by the back sliding glass door to view wildlife verses dragging the binoculars out every time.

/ Spotting scope for hunting and wildlife watching? #2  
Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 the angled version

Vortex Optics - Viper HD 15-45x65 Angled

We used to leave it in front of the window too but it got to be in the way a lot and keeping it clean was a hassle. It finally got to be easier to use the binoculars that we keep in the case on the TV stand.

/ Spotting scope for hunting and wildlife watching? #3  
Celestron Ultima 20 x 60 by 80mm. We have an eagle's nest 1000+ feet, nice views of sitting on the nest right now. Works great
We leave it attached to the tripod and just lay it down behind a couple of stuff chairs when not being used. A photography teacher back in school told me, "a camera can't fall off the floor, but will fall off the table/desk.Put your camera on the floor!"

Eagle just flew by as I'm writing..

/ Spotting scope for hunting and wildlife watching?
Just the wife and I at home now both retired kids have grown and moved out.Leaving the spotter on the tripod is a good option for us no small kids or grandkids to trip over it.When the grand children come over we will put it up.

/ Spotting scope for hunting and wildlife watching? #5  
If you go this route, be sure to get a gimbal head to go on the tripod. The tilt pan heads and all of the ball heads are all top heavy and do not act at the centre of gravity. If you ever try a gimbal head you would never do without it. Same thing the wildlife pro photographers use for their long 15lb telephoto lenses.

554099.jpg
The one shown above is $174 at BHphotovideo.com

/ Spotting scope for hunting and wildlife watching? #6  
SX-1 Ventana HD Spotting Scope 20-60x80mm Angled; got it as a Christmas gift, is my first/only. Live next to a wildlife mgmt area so lots of game in the area, and occasional hunters that I like to monitor/observe. Want to pick up an iPhone adapter to take some photos with it - haven't looked yet, but figure someone has to have made it, no?

/ Spotting scope for hunting and wildlife watching? #8  
For wildlife I use Steiner 20x 80 binoculars. Work well for spotting also.

/ Spotting scope for hunting and wildlife watching? #9  
dakotagun,

We just bought a IPhone adapter for our scope. Cool idea but it just would not hold tight enough. The rubber on the scope vs. the rubber feet on the adapter = no traction. You can't just "hold" it in place shakes all over the place. It's getting returned.

Learned you can use the ear buds as the remote camera shutter button. I didn't try it but that's what was in the instruction.

/ Spotting scope for hunting and wildlife watching? #10  
I have an older Redfield that is is probably close to 25 years old now that has worked good for me, but lately I've been using the zoom on my camera. It's a Canon SX50 that works great for seeing what's out there!!!!

Eddie