Splitting the Clutch from the engine

/ Splitting the Clutch from the engine #21  
IMG_20160628_155948.jpg

/ Splitting the Clutch from the engine #23  
Since it is apart, depending on what the clutch and flywheel look like and how many hours on it. I would most likely just replace the clutch. With a quality one not a cheapie off the internet.

GOOD ADVICE!
I split my Ford 1920 TWICE in the last two years!
Imported clutches are a BAD IDEA!

/ Splitting the Clutch from the engine #24  
If the machine has a double clutch, a REBUILT clutch and disc assembly from New Holland is well over 2 grand with $400 core charge. New one is about $2,300.

That's a lot of $$, is a double clutch that same as a 2 stage clutch on a L3400?

/ Splitting the Clutch from the engine #25  
Chewwy,, I was told from an old tractor mechanic that I did not have a double clutch so that is in part how I ended up ordering the wrong Rod as well. Once I split it another friend of a friend came over to tell me if I needed a new clutch and what not as I was going to replace this one if it was even remotely close to being worn. Good news is that everything looks good in there. I am in search of the correct rod now. My manual shows what looks like the right one, but my manual does not come with a part list I have to look it up through Messicks. I am probably going to the local dealer Monday and order it from him. Will take the old broken one as a reference this time. So in closing I have the 9X3 with double clutch. SO I am assuming now I need the part number 86530918. I have looked on a few other parts houses web sites and they show 2 different rod's for my application.

I dont like the sound of that, "in closing", is the tractor back together with the right clutch rod already..... isn't there more to this story, if not make one up............ or something.

/ Splitting the Clutch from the engine #26  
That's a lot of $$, is a double clutch that same as a 2 stage clutch on a L3400?

Was not familiar with term double clutch until saw it on parts list. Had to Google to see what it meant.
Double clutch engages the,PTO seperate from the driveline. Not sure what 2 stage clutch means but sounds similar.

Apparently a lot of people with a double clutch don't know it. I know I don't have one since it's not available on either of my machines.

/ Splitting the Clutch from the engine #27  
To many of us you are making a mole hill out of a mountain. To even think of doing splitting a tractor and reassembling it over a weekend without a full blown tractor shop is beyond my imagination.

Since you were an airplane mechanic you probably have the skills. I've one tractor I've needed to redo the brakes on for years, it ain't happening for years. When I do it I expect to take weeks.

Please post your progress in detail, it seem every tractor splitting writeup I've read some steps go undocumented and I'm trying to build up the courage to do mine.

Oh, and get about 6 of the Harbor Freight movers dollies they will come in handy for supporting and moving things on your concrete floor.

I've split a tractor. I didn't do it over a weekend but it was because procrastinating got the better of me. Working diligently I honestly think it could be accomplished in a weekend. The hardest part for me was getting the two 1/2s back together. Mine had 2 splined shafts in the split. Getting both shafts lined up makes the most uncooperative PTO seem like a piece of cake. A cherry picker was involved in my split and definitely made it go smoother.

/ Splitting the Clutch from the engine
I dont like the sound of that, "in closing", is the tractor back together with the right clutch rod already..... isn't there more to this story, if not make one up............ or something.

No I am not done working on it yet Path, I was just closing for the day. I am waiting on the new rod from Messicks to come in. I am going to put the tractor back into one piece and get it started again. Then when the rod comes in install and do a recap for the forum.

Well I am not looking forward to all the time it will take to squeeze back together, but I have a great neighbor that is going to help. As far as the double clutch I would have never known until I split this thing and an actual tractor mechanic came over and told me. However the rod I needed was listed under the pedals section of the transmission chapter. I was looking at the one from the clutches section. In the pedals section it does list 2 different ones and they say "double clutch 9X3 or HST. Well since I do not have a HST I would have known then that I had a double clutch. AHHHH the things you learn. From now on I will not go by my book without SPEAKING to the folks at Messicks about the part I need. When I called in to verify which rod I needed the guy on the phone was awesome and helped me look at their parts manual and it showed the exact rod that looked like mine. And of course it was double the price for less of a rod. Live and learn. With all the parts I ordered I am getting off cheap at $180 instead of having a major clutch job. OldPath still not done with my posts yet.....

Tractor is back together. My neighbor and I had it back together inside an hour. I have everything waiting for the rod to come from Messicks. I did start it after we bled the injectors and it fired right up. I Just need to install the clutch rod and a few bolts that were cut off during disassemble. Overall not a bad project at all, I would be able to do it again without reservations if it needs to be done. Chewwy had the best advice of all. "Picture in your head what you are going to do and then proceed". I hope for it to be in use by Wednesday.