Splitters and Wood, show your pics!

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #31  
Ditto.... I started looking at new splitters, some one shots, even some with log lifts. My old about 1980 Harbor Freight Central Machinery 20 ton started looking a lot better after I did some pricing on the new ones. I'm 72, and don't need something faster, and I just put some work into her to last until I get old enough that heating my barns work area with propane takes over someday. I could probably buy wood for what they want for the fancy ones.

Jerry, I am 69. It was a deciding factor in keeping my old splitter. How much longer do/can I heat with wood? If I was 20 years younger, the investment might make sense....or if I wanted to sell wood.

I have decided to invest in a cutting table that drops rounds to a ramp feeding the splitter...and from the splitter into IBC totes. Avoiding bending, picking up stuff, and double handling will make the job so much easier for a lot less money. The grapple cost me $1000 and the rest of the system will be less than $500.

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #32  
I built mine several years ago. initialy ran off the pto with a large pump. I have since changed it with it's own engine. It is pictured on youtube. look up plumbstriaight wood splitter. I did a typo and put in that extra i so be sure to notice that. I have split blocks 6ft in dia with it with no problems. Have never had an incident with it as some say because I kicked a chunk off it it was dangerous. Cycle time is about 7 seconds out and back. The engine that is on it in the pic has been replaced and there is no hesitation anymore. It had a kohler and it didn't have much power, I know have a honda on it.

The lift has a 8000lb hyd winch for pulling large blocks to the splitter. This was just a quicky for the camera and usually the block hangs in the right place over it for splitting. I put a block under the end of the I beam to level the unit.

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #33  
Here is Plumbstraight's video of his splitter with winch in action. It took me a bit to find it, since YouTube insisted on "correcting" my spelling.
wood splitter - YouTube

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #34  
Here is Plumbstraight's video of his splitter with winch in action. It took me a bit to find it, since YouTube insisted on "correcting" my spelling.
wood splitter - YouTube
Here's mine , a full log gets pulled in one side , cut ,split,and dumped in the trailer on the other 20190723_162913.jpeg

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #35  
That's a great splitting video Plumbstraight. I enjoyed it. I knew you guys in the PNW dealt with some big Doug Fir but that really puts it in perspective. Thanks for posting J_Mc.

gg

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #36  
Sawyer Rob, Is that 4-way splitter-head an attachment that can purchased separately? It looks as if it just slides over the main splitter mast? If so, would you have a link to wherever it could be bought? Thanks. I think I'd like to try a 4 way on my 20 ton splitter, although my rounds are far, far smaller than what you are splitting! I'd like to get a 4 way split at one time rather than multiple repeats on the original stick. Thanks Greg

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #37  
Sawyer Rob, Is that 4-way splitter-head an attachment that can purchased separately? It looks as if it just slides over the main splitter mast? Greg
It came from Timber Wolf, and it requires the right size wedge to fit over right, and it's super strong built, so it cost accordantly...

SR

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #38  
We absolutely love our Timber Wolf splitter,

standard.jpg

It is fast, super powerful

standard.jpg

and like my wife says, "it's worth every dollar it cost us!!"

SR

Nice pics of a nice splitter. I can't believe that you took the time to paint and polish it to look like new before posting... and- what's this- did you even dye your beard to make yourself look younger? ;) :laughing:

While it may or may not look as purty now, it still seems to get the job one for you. :thumbsup:

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #40  
Since the tow vehicle for my splitter, T1460, is in the shop, I put the splitter in the bucket and hauled it to the woodpile.

Attachments

• split 1.jpg
    split 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 231
  • split3.jpg
    split3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 220
  • split 2.jpg
    split 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 225