Spent $600 today!!!!

/ Spent $600 today!!!! #1  

PBMAX

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC21D
Called my self being carefull.../w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I was brush-cutting and while down by the pond I felt a little bump...
That bump was a dang-blasted 4"sX10"high stump.../w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif...Frigging beavers finally got me.../w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif/w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif/w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif...I bent the rod on my power steering cylinder.Called the dealer.No replacement part.Have to buy the whole cylinder.$425 plus labor and since I don't have a trailer yet.I can add pick up and return.I know it ain't the beavers fault they weren't driving....Course at least the beaver would have known the stump was there.!But at least they give me something to vent my frustration at...Besides it's better then blaming my self.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gifThe wife can handle that./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif...

My question to ya'll...Is it worth trying to straighten out the rod?(relizing it would always be a bit week) It's bent enough that the wheels will only turn slightly to the left say 5-10deg from straight on.If so should I,Would I,need to heat the rod a bit while straightening it...Just temp till I can get it fixed... Or should I just let it set for a few weeks?...No urgent need for the tractor just roto cutting and a little FEL stuff...

Lil' Paul
Proud owner of TC21D
Laziness is the Father of invention.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Spent $600 today!!!! #2  
Paul, I'm not sure I understand exactly where it bent, but I'd be inclined to think that if you're not confident you can do it yourself, that a machine shop or hydraulics repair shop could fix it just about as good as new and a lot cheaper.

Bird

/ Spent $600 today!!!! #3  
Paul, if you know anyone with a lathe you could probably straighten it out,A set of v-blocks with a arbor press will work. I did this to my front driveshaft on my four wheeler and its running true, no heat, just some persuation! Tom

/ Spent $600 today!!!! #4  
Paul,
Cylinder rods are straightened all the time. If you do straighten it, it may never need to be replaced. If they were going to charge me that much to replace it and I wanted a new one-I would go to a hydraulic shop. They will replace the rod only and charge you a whole lot less.

18-32460-1250sig.gif

/ Spent $600 today!!!! #5  
I would not even consider trying to straighten a power steering cylinder rod. The tollerances between the rod and the gland are close enough that you would have a constant or reoccuring leak. Also, if the rod is not perfectly straight, the piston inside the cylinder would be cocked at an angle and possibly chewing up the piston or the bore sending metal shavings through your power steering system and trashing more than your cylinder. As far as your dealer saying there is no replacement part, I don't really believe that. You should be able to get just a rod and packing kit to replace the damaged one (seals should be replaced when a cylinder is taken apart just for good measure)

/ Spent $600 today!!!! #6  
Paul, I had a loader cylinder with a bent ram-shaft. I was having seals replaced and when the shop went to remove the gland nut, it wouldn't slide freely and they almost could not get the cylinder apart. The shop sent the ram to a machine shop and had it straightened after the shop owner warned me by saying, "Sometimes we have one break when we straighten it." I'd say you certainly can have it straightened, but if it is bent badly, I'd consider just replacing the ram-shaft. At any rate, don't let them talk you into buying the whole cylinder. Hey, can't an old gunnersmate rebuild a cylinder if he has the parts and seals?

Also, I hope you find that beaver and bust his tail. They don't make repair kits for those./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimI

/ Spent $600 today!!!!
I actually went to the dealer the other day just to make sure we were both talking about the same thing..Unfortunatley we were...NH only sales the rod with the cylinder...Probably cheaper for them and it's deffenitly gonna make em' money if thats the only way to get it.But they do sell a rebuild kit for the internals(seals, rings etc.)so I may take it off,buy the rebuild kit,and take to a shop...It's got to be less costly...My only concern is any problems down the road effecting the 3yr end to end warrenty.If only the warrenty coverd stupid....Course then Some of us couldn't afford to buy.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gifI can see it. Sir we have a warrenty for stupid but it cost...(!@#$@#$%) $ extra per month at this rate your tractor will be paid off when you're 196yr old.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Trust me sir you need it.Just sing here...

Yeah I suppose. It wouldn't be to difficult to rebuild..If I had the tools...But seeing as to how I haven't had to rebuild any hydrolics in years I seem to have miss place all my tools..O' yeah. Now I rember...There on the ship...to bad... She's being used as home now by some mermaids../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Maybe I'll buy a big bag of lime ocassionally and spread it heavy a 1ft or so above the waterline...Maybe if the get ther feet irratated enough thell visit the neighbors on the other side more often than me.../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Lil' Paul
Proud owner of TC21D

/ Spent $600 today!!!! #8  
Paul, they do sell that insurance for $150 per year, only it has a $500 deductible. I don't think you'd save much here. Also, I wasn't thinking about the rod not being in the rebuild kit. You need to get the kit and then take the whole shebang to a hydraulic repair shop. That would probably be less than $200. I figure if you straighten the rod and it leaks, you just take it back to the repair shop. Most likely it won't leak. What irks me is that you can purchase a hydraulic cylinder for less than $100, but suddenly when it's a power steering part with a little specialty plumbing, they think it's worth $600. I love my NH tractor, but that kind of stuff is pretty rotten. You might want to contact someone like the link below to see if they can help you.

http://www.baileynet.com

These folks also sell toplink cylinders. That's something I want to get soon.

JimI

/ Spent $600 today!!!!
Yeah,since the housing is a special shape,so it will fit just so under the tractor...It's prob an odd lenth also...I'll prob try to take some detailed photos and measurements and carry them to a shop and see if they can give me a rough idea as to cost before I decide to go that route...Either way it's gonna have to wait till after the 1st of August.Wifes ear-marked any left over cash (very little these days)for going to the beach the 1st week of August...

Thanks for the link,will check it out...

Lil' Paul
Proud owner of TC21D

/ Spent $600 today!!!! #10  
Paul, you are probably right about the shape of the housing. Mine has "eyes" on the ends with grease zerks. The extend port also has a pipe extension down to the retract end so that both connections are side-by-side. This extension could be replaced by a flex hose, but getting all the other parts right could be an unworkable hassle. I think your best bet is still having the cylinder reworked. The "tech in ny" who replies from time-to-time with very good advice may not agree, but I think the small diameter of this rod will make the job very easy. I had two bucket roll cylinders rebuilt and one of them straightened for $180 in 1997. Since I couldn't buy a Ford seal kit (discontinued) the shop checked sizes and ordered generic parts from the local distributer. I surmised that this is a pretty common practice. Just think. If you go this way, you may save enough money for even a second trip to the beach. Keeping happiness and peace with the wife is always a good thing./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

JimI