Speaking of grapples...????? Pins...

/ Speaking of grapples...????? Pins... #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
Wonder why my grapple uses hitch pins everywhere? I'll be using it and notice one is missing. So far I've replaced four. I'm replacing them with large cotter pins which make sense, the hitch pins I'm sure get caught on limbs. I thought hitch pins were for quick release which you'd rarely if ever need to remove on a grapple.

/ Speaking of grapples...????? Pins... #2  
You can tie safety wire or cable ties around the hitch pins to keep then from being pulled out.

/ Speaking of grapples...????? Pins... #3  
Wonder why my grapple uses hitch pins everywhere? I'll be using it and notice one is missing. So far I've replaced four. I'm replacing them with large cotter pins which make sense, the hitch pins I'm sure get caught on limbs. I thought hitch pins were for quick release which you'd rarely if ever need to remove on a grapple.
Which grapple you have again?

/ Speaking of grapples...????? Pins... #4  
I switched to the "black heavy duty" ones TSC sells after losing a couple std ones.

/ Speaking of grapples...????? Pins... #5  
Sounds like you have a POS grapple like I do. No grease fittings, hairpins for retaining pins. No bushings. Buttered welds and gobs of black paint to hide sins. That's why I will never buy machinery online ever again without seeing it in person first. The money I've saved up front I'm paying for in downtime and making repairs.

/ Speaking of grapples...????? Pins...
Titan I'm pretty sure. It works but I have bent it some. It wasn't inexpensive, but no grease fittings.

/ Speaking of grapples...????? Pins... #7  
I have an EA grapple, Run it on my CX105 and MX 5100. It has grease fitting, bushings, but no pins anywhere and I haven't managed to bend it in 2.5 yrs.
cost a little more than others though

/ Speaking of grapples...????? Pins... #8  
Sounds like you have a POS grapple like I do. No grease fittings, hairpins for retaining pins. No bushings. Buttered welds and gobs of black paint to hide sins. That's why I will never buy machinery online ever again without seeing it in person first. The money I've saved up front I'm paying for in downtime and making repairs.

I had one of those grapples before. When it came time for another one I paid $3,000 of pre Covid money and that’s been a much better experience.

/ Speaking of grapples...????? Pins... #9  
Titan I'm pretty sure. It works but I have bent it some.
My son in law said his bent the first time he used it, and was in for repairs many times after. Eventually he permanently loaned it to a friend and replaced it with a cta-55 grapple. The cta is a much tougher unit apparently. I have one now too - no pins to come out, grease zerks, grade 80, flawless welds.

/ Speaking of grapples...????? Pins... #10  
Titan I'm pretty sure. It works but I have bent it some. It wasn't inexpensive, but no grease fittings.
The chinese Titan? I only see one grapple there that have clipped pins, and its the cheapest basic model. Every one else that I see on the site has retained pins and grease fittings... ?

113118_05.jpg

113104_11.jpg