sources for quality front chains?

/ sources for quality front chains? #11  
   / sources for quality front chains? #12  
i'm in NW montana close to Tractor TYMe, (actually i'm in crete right now) had not thought of les schwab- i'll try there
Tire Rama also has a big selection

/ sources for quality front chains? #16  
   / sources for quality front chains? #17  
Well,
it was quite helpful and i use that technique every time.
Thank Lou.
That is the technique which came with my OFA EKO ("euro-style") chains. Wish I'd known it all of the years I was putting on my previous ladder chains and Duo-Grip chains. It's so much easier, especially when you get into chains on larger tires: no lifting involved.

/ sources for quality front chains? #18  
Diamond pattern chains for that 27x8.5-15 seem to be tough to find. I wonder if 27x9-14 chains would fit? There are several options I see out there for that size. Some are alloy studded chains.

Wesco has several options for 27x9-14 chains

Others probably do as well.

Some of these studded chains have a fairly high profile. If you are using them on front wheels, you'll want to check the clearance carefully, especially with the wheels fully turned. If clearance is a concern, the square link diamond pattern chains have a lower profile but still have pretty good traction (they are also claimed to be friendlier to pavement).

Last edited:
   / sources for quality front chains? #19  
From what I've seen with chains the overall length (diameter) and width are the primary considerations. The rim size is just an abstract number.

/ sources for quality front chains? #20  
From what I've seen with chains the overall length (diameter) and width are the primary considerations. The rim size is just an abstract number.
That's why I was thinking the chains for 27x9-14 might be a good fit. The shape of the tire is also a consideration in the fit. Rounded ATV style tires might have a bit of a different fit than a more square-shouldered R4 tire. Either way, I did not think an extra 1/2" would make all that much difference.