Son's new career path, pretty proud father

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father
It was great you were able to take that family trip and have that time together...

My understanding is much of ROTC operates in a much reduced capacity with some schools no longer participating around here.

Several of our Doctors have kids that enlisted and did well plus we have nurse that were able to become licensed RN through military service.

The SF Bay Area is so different compared to my time in Washington State where the military is a huge presence...
COMPLETELY agree about the trip. He loved it (furthest outside our state he ever traveled).

For a kid who never liked to get his hands dirty, he also bowled me over when when he started working on his own car and I had some joy in buying him tools that he didn't ask for because we were tired of him borrowing ours and he was to cheap to buy them himself.

One of the highlights on that trip to the west coast for himself was all the cars he got to see in Monterey and Carmel. He mentioned he never saw so many foreign cars in his life LOL

He also bowled us over when he said he would like to jump out of an airplane (never got to it as he wanted when he was working, but he will see if that's a possiblity later). His mother would however prefer he stays on the ground.

Funny thing, he was never interested in ROTC in high school, but about 2 years ago when he was a junior was certain this is what he wanted to do.

My parents always instilled in me to move away from them and create my own life and to see the world on my own. We kind of did the same thing for our son.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #12  
Great story, best of luck to him. He’s a touch taller in the second picture.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #13  
I'll have to admit that first picture and story brought a proud tear to my eye and I have to agree with Dude more Patriotism needs to be taught in our country.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #14  
Sometimes I have to look really hard to find a domestic car when out and about…

On the flip side some foreign have more domestic parts than domestic.

The SF greater Bay Area still has Air Force so never know he could come back on Uncle Sam’s dime?

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #15  
My nephew joined the Navy this year.
It's been a life changing experience for a troubled kid.
Brother is a very proud papa.

Sometimes I have to look really hard to find a domestic car when out and about…

On the flip side some foreign have more domestic parts than domestic.

The SF greater Bay Area still has Air Force so never know he could come back on Uncle Sam’s dime?
He's covered his Mercedes in the drivway. I have been given explicit rules on when I can start it up to run the engine LOL

Please don't take this the wrong way, but unless you have money to burn, a Mercedes should never be your primary car when it comes to service parts LOL My son even mentioned that aftermarket parts (on what he can find) for the car cost more than the factory parts. As I've admitted, never into cars like he is at his age.

Being he is our only son now, we've told him to settle down anywhere out west or down south. Anything remotely bordering Canada will be a struggle on our end.

Besides that, even if it is Cali, my wife has told me there is no reason to have more than 5 guns in the house when we move.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #17  
Proud moments. Hope he does well.
Hmm, 5, now which 5? Does the garage count as part of the house, lol?

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #18  
I am happy that you are happy and wish him all the best....

Genuinely curious here, my question to you or any parents who child choose a military path would be how do you feel and prepare him for the risk and potential repercussion of that life? are you pushing for him to opt for a safe career path within the army ? dose he have a path plan?

I am not advocating for discouragement, only for proper preparedness.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #19  
Proud moments. Hope he does well.
Hmm, 5, now which 5? Does the garage count as part of the house, lol?
No, a house has habitable rooms. So a garage is outside the house???!!!

I am happy that you are happy and wish him all the best....

Genuinely curious here, my question to you or any parents who child choose a military path would be how do you feel and prepare him for the risk and potential repercussion of that life? are you pushing for him to opt for a safe career path within the army ? dose he have a path plan?

I am not advocating for discouragement, only for proper preparedness.
At some point in time, you need to make your own decisions and live your own life.

No matter what path you choose, there could be repercussions even in the civilian world.

I've honestly believed my entire life that the military is a great opportunity for people if you can contribute (no different than the civilian world IMO).

I was diassapointed in that my son chose the Air Force and not the Army, but I can live with it because he wants to follow my father.

My father grew up in a dirt poor family that were coal miners that came off the boat in the early 1900's. After 20 plus years in the Air Force along with working as a civilian for another 30 years plus (only part time after age 76 LOL) he made a good life for himself because he and my mom knew how to save.

End of the day, I also honestly believe in madatory military service for our country, but I know that will never happen. I'm just glad I never had to sell my son on it.