Solenoid chattering

/ Solenoid chattering #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Was going to put wife on mower to mow leaves while I used leaf blower but it won't start. Battery showed charged but I put my starter on it anyway and it still chattered. Shorted across terminals and it turned over for a second but I let the screwdriver slip off. Never could get it to turn over again. I can usually get anything started but have had no luck. Any ideas?

RSKY

/ Solenoid chattering #2  
Solenoids chatter because of low voltage. That can be due to a low battery or a poor ground, or an internal failure.

/ Solenoid chattering #3  
Usually when they start doing that it's because the copper contacts have eroded enough that the solenoid can't pull the disc far enough back to make contact. I had that happen on the forklift, took the end cap off the solenoid and the battery contacts were 2 square head copper bolts, turned them so the new part of the head was to the inside, works like new.

/ Solenoid chattering #4  
You didn't post a conclusion. If you jumped it once and didn't jump again, that's not the solenoid. As Kabota owner Mark said, that's low voltage.

You turn the key or push the button. A couple hundred milliamperes run down the wire to the small stud(s) and pulls the solenoid rod down making contact between the two ⅜" studs with the copper disc attached to the end of the rod. That action connects the starter across the battery which loads the battery and supply cables/connections.

Once the starter starts sucking on the battery it craters and either the terminal voltage drops or somewhere in the supply cables/connections, you have a corroded terminal dropping excessive voltage....but on this one I'm taking a sulphated up battery that can't supply a good load and maintain terminal voltage.

The voltage available for the solenoid to remain energized has now dropped below 9v or whatever the holding voltage happens to be. The lack of energizing current causes the spring loaded rod to release which releases the contact between the input and output terminals of the solenoid.

This takes the load off the battery and the voltage pops back up.....fingers are still on the start switch so you have adequate voltage back on the solenoid and it energizes again, loads up again, releases again, etc, etc, etc.

Have your battery load tested for 11v at the terminals while delivering 200 amps. If it won't do that get a new one.

Pitted contacts reduce the surface area of the contact surfaces and that reduces the current carrying capacity to the starter. It does just the opposite of what I said above because the starter can't load the battery supply like it should since it can't conduct adequate current through the solenoid.

Pitted contacts continue to erode until the surface area is so small that the copper to copper plate to stud junction welds together and this condition is where you let off the start switch but the starter continues to run. Then it becomes a.......geez, how do I shut this thing off.

/ Solenoid chattering
Due to having to leave and get granddaughter to spend the night because daughter and her hubby have the flu, I have not had a chance to do anything else to the mower. I suspect the battery is bad and intend to check it out tomorrow afternoon. Will post what I find.

That three and a half year old was talking when we picked her up. Talked all the way the twenty miles to our house. Talked while getting ready for bed. And talked for thirty minutes after she was in bed. Then she woke me up talking this morning.

She is so much like her mother.

RSKY

/ Solenoid chattering #6  
Give her a hug and give thanks :D

When you get back to it check all of the ground wires, especially at the relay. Don't just look, take them apart. Then remove and clean battery terminals negative first then with negative off, the positive, Re-install positive first. Be sure all cell on battery have water,. Last check the connections at the starter, Good luck

/ Solenoid chattering
Took the battery in and it checked okay. So I went to the dealer and got a solenoid. Yep, that was it. First time I've had to replace one since I owned a 1973 Road Runner,....which I sold in 1984.

Thanks for the info.

/ Solenoid chattering #8  
Took the battery in and it checked okay. So I went to the dealer and got a solenoid. Yep, that was it. First time I've had to replace one since I owned a 1973 Road Runner,....which I sold in 1984.

Thanks for the info.

Interesting. I'd like to take it apart and investigate the mechanism (that made it fail) since it defies logic.......experience based opinion, nothing more, nothing less.