Solar Eclipse...

/ Solar Eclipse... #31  
I could be wrong, but suspect that a lot of priests back then knew what was going on and used it for their own purposes. What better way to get rid of someone you don't like than to offer them as a human sacrifice to bring the sun back!

Definitely! The ultimate "magic" trick.

/ Solar Eclipse... #33  
There is a book and a movie “A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur’s Court” where someone goes back in time. He had a Farmers Almanac or something like that with him and about the time they were going to execute him he knew there was going to be an eclipse. So of course he made the sun go out and after they panicked he brought it back. Bing Crosby played the part.

/ Solar Eclipse... #34  
There is a book and a movie “A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur’s Court” where someone goes back in time. He had a Farmers Almanac or something like that with him and about the time they were going to execute him he knew there was going to be an eclipse. So of course he made the sun go out and after they panicked he brought it back. Bing Crosby played the part.
Mark Twain wrote that book and it is a great one. Science Fiction or Fantasy depending on one's definition. :D There is an episode of Star Trek Next Generation with Mark Twain going into the future. I figured the Star Trek writers used A Connecticut Yankee story as the idea for the episode.

/ Solar Eclipse... #35  

My dad encouraged me to read that book many years ago. It's a great read!

/ Solar Eclipse... #36  
My dad encouraged me to read that book many years ago. It's a great read!

I thought the Bing Crosby movie was pretty corny and far-fetched really. The Star Trek version was much more realistic . . .

/ Solar Eclipse... #37  
We are in totality as well. Schools are off. Local community is making a big deal of it. Unless we are up north for last rites or a funeral, I'll be here on the farm. Spoiler alert... It will get darker for a few minutes. Then it will get bright again.

We had one when I was in gradeschool. Not as impressive as it's billing. Never understood the pin hole thing. You are just seeing a shadow of a shadow. May as well wait for the evening news and see shots of the actual sun.

The history is interesting, though.

/ Solar Eclipse... #38  
2017, viewed in Oregon (at Steins Pillar)
11.jpg

In this pic you can see that the eclipse was partial at the time by seeing the shape of the lens flares:
22.jpg

/ Solar Eclipse... #40  
I thought about getting a pair of glasses but am still waffling. That would be a surefire way to ensure we have a major snow event that day.