Solar Battery Maintainer, AKA: Tender Recommendation

/ Solar Battery Maintainer, AKA: Tender Recommendation #1  

Monster5601

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 R4 Tires
I am looking for a solar battery tender like device for the battery that runs my dump trailer's hydraulics. I spent a few hours looking at and reading the numerous offerings which is overwhelming. I'd appreciate recommendations from those that have used a solar maintainer for a year or more with good results. I don't want to waste money on a solution that isn't the best or doesn't have a reasonable life.

I do not have expectations of the solar unit recharging the battery after a day of dumping, the trailer has onboard charging for that. I'm looking to keep the battery at potential during the long time periods I do not use the trailer. The battery has a small parasitic draw from the wireless dump control unit. Really looking to mitigate this draw plus a few watts.

Thanks in advance.

/ Solar Battery Maintainer, AKA: Tender Recommendation #4  
Some pictures.... solarcharger 2.jpgsolar charger 1.jpg

/ Solar Battery Maintainer, AKA: Tender Recommendation #5  
Peter- Nice setup.

Mine is well ah a tad more primitive :embarrassed:

Attachments

• IMG_2933.jpeg
    IMG_2933.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 162
   / Solar Battery Maintainer, AKA: Tender Recommendation #6  
I grabbed a couple of the solar chargers when my company did an upgrade to the GPS tracking units on semi trailers. I then added alligator clips and all was great! Then I forgot I had in on the tractor when I jumped on to mow a small patch of yard...and the mower made a slight modification to it that made it no longer adaptable to my use. I guess I need to hook up another one, but the first one did last more than a year!

/ Solar Battery Maintainer, AKA: Tender Recommendation #7  
I just use a plug in cheapy Harbor Freight tender on both my RV battery and my riding mower battery. Not solar though, sorry.

How about just installing a battery disconnect switch to the battery terminal to stop the parasitic drain?

/ Solar Battery Maintainer, AKA: Tender Recommendation #9  
I used the $5 HF cheapie charger and found it boils the water out if it is left on continually, even though they say it won't.

And I've tried the HF license-plate size solar charger. Then a second one. I'm not convinced those did anything at all.

I see Battery Minder, Battery Tender, and HF's equivalent all around $30. Anybody have comments on those? Can they stay attached indefinitely?

/ Solar Battery Maintainer, AKA: Tender Recommendation #10  
I have connected a 10W Instapark panel to my lawn mower without a controller without a problem.i put another brand 10W panel on my backhoe and it seems to not help or hinder. Much larger battery.

I had a 100W panel on a deep cycle battery for my cameras with a cheap PDM regulator that worked until the regulator failed. I connected that panel direct and burned up the battery. $100 mistake.

I see now that Renogy has a waterproof controller. I will probably order one of those if I ever use my 100W panel again.

I had one of those HF panels laying around. Ii recently wired a usb socket to it and plugged a camera in to it. When it's getting light the camera reports that it's charging but the rate is slower than the consumption. Camera is still getting down to 15% in about 15 days.