Solar Battery Charger

/ Solar Battery Charger #1  

TonyC

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 1997 L3600DT 4WD with FEL
Anyone have any experience with Solar Battery Chargers? I don't plan to use it on my tractor but I wondered how effective they are.

/ Solar Battery Charger #2  
They work pretty well if you have plenty of time and sun. Like most things when you're in a hurry the sun doesn't cooperate /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif .

We used one on the boat to keep the batteries up and it worked well and we didn't have to worry about keeping an electric charger running.

/ Solar Battery Charger #3  
I have a 50 watt Seimens solar array on the roof of my camper to keep the batteries charged. It has a regulator/controller to prevent overcharging and it works on cloudy days at reduced output, of course.

The big drawback to solar panels is the price. A 50 watt is typically at least $500.00

As long as you have a big pocketbook and want to be "enviromentally friendly", they are fine. Good old utility power or a generator is a lot cheaper as an initial investment.

/ Solar Battery Charger #4  
I have an old 71 Chevy pickup that gets started about every 6 months. Have one of the small ($50.00) solar battery chargers pluged into the sigarette lighter, works great and always starts.

/ Solar Battery Charger #5  
<font color="blue"> Anyone have any experience with Solar Battery Chargers? I don't plan to use it on my tractor but I wondered how effective they are. </font>

Funny you should mention that... I went to start my old beater pickup truck just to keep things lubed and it would not start yesterday...dead battery. I have a sloar charger that I've never used before, so I hooked it up yesterday afternoon. It is supposed to bring back a completely dead battery in a day or two. I'm going to let it sit for three becausde it is not supposed to be too sunny today or tomorrow, but I'll let you know how it did.

/ Solar Battery Charger #6  
I have three in use at the present time,
One on my sailboat to keep the battery charged for the Yanmar engine and for the bilge pump if needed.
The other two are on gate openers for the house,
I have never had a problem of any kind on any of them.
Jimc

/ Solar Battery Charger #7  
The problem is the cost. At $500 for 50 watts, thats about $10,000 per kilowatt. If you pay $0.08/kilowatt hour for your electricity. The payback is around 28.6 years if the sun shines 12 hours a day and there are no clouds, etc (so you actually get 50 watts our of it).

Of couse, if you need electricity and thats the only way of getting it, it makes sense. Most cheapy units can only deliver a few watts, probably less than the self discharge rate of a car battery. For example, just for example, it takes about 2 kW/hrs of electricity to charge a car battery. Thats would take about 40 hours of a 50 watt array, or about 400 or more hours out of the typical auto parts store arrays.

Sorrry for the rant. Wife just bought one. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Solar Battery Charger #8  
Boustany:

I don't think that any panel would last even 20 years exposed to the elements. Even the hermetically sealed ones.

The array on the roof of my camper keeps the deep cycle battery charged when the camper is idle. I always have a little power draw due to the digital radio's memory. It has been my experience that the panel can't keep up with even the fridge running although it does prolong the discharge time.

I always try to use shore power or generator whenever possible.

/ Solar Battery Charger #9  
I got one for about $20 at harbor freight. It plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet that attaches to a battery that is wired to a switcth that is wired to a 50 watt bulb in my cow shed hay room. I flip the switch an no flash light /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif! The charging panel sits on the roof and keeps the 12 volt batty topped off. I use the light so seldom that the small panel is all that is needed. Used household grade electrical wiring and am considering adding a 12V to 12 VAC inverter to the system..

/ Solar Battery Charger #10  
It seems that the level of enthusiasm for solar chargers increases the further south the user lives. That's no surprise, really. I just thought I'd point out that your location has one heck of a lot more to do with how well your panel will appear to work than the panel itself.

I'm in northern Indiana and the people who keep track of such things list my area as have fewer than seventy days of sunshine per year. I don't know exactly what the criteria is and don't really care. My point is that someplace like Brownsville, Texas must have well over four times that amount and, hence, would be able to benefit from solar chargers for more than I would.