Soil Test Results

/ Soil Test Results #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
Could one of you folks more experienced in farming translate the attached soil test for me?

I think it means I have to apply 2,000 pounds/acre of lime?

What's the best spreader for accomplishing this?

Thanks!

tractor.gif

Attachments

• 8-83664-soil.jpg
    8-83664-soil.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 175
   / Soil Test Results #2  
Mike,
That’s what it means, at least it’s the way it was explained to me. As far a spreading it goes, the place where you buy bulk fertilizer and lime will have what they call a buggy. I don’t remember how much lime they hold. They have four wheels and the spreader part is either wheel or PTO driven. They weight too much for a small tractor. You can use a truck if the land is fairly level with the wheel drive model. A larger tractor is the best thing to pull a buggy. There are also, custom applicators that charge so much per ton; they use big trucks usually.

18-32460-1250sig.gif

/ Soil Test Results #3  
Mike, I agree with Jerry, of course. I have a neighbor who goes to the feed and fertilizer store and gets one of those buggies with 3 to 3.5 tons of fertilizer (sometimes mixed with wheat or oat seed), pulls it home behind his pickup, then spreads it with an 85hp tractor. Naturally, you can buy smaller spreaders at places like Tractor Supply Co., but unless you're going to do it regularly, you're probably better off contacting one of the companies and just let them deliver and spread it. At least in my area, there are lots of ag chemical dealers who regularly do that.

BirdSig.jpg

/ Soil Test Results
<font color=blue> Naturally, you can buy smaller spreaders at places like Tractor Supply Co., but unless you're going to do it regularly, you're probably better off contacting one of the companies and just let them deliver and spread it.</font color=blue>

Do any of you use a 3ph spreader to spread fertilizer on your lawns? We currently use a lawn service ($600 - $750 annually) and was wondering if I could do it for less.

tractor.gif

/ Soil Test Results #5  
<font color=blue>Do any of you use a 3ph spreader to spread fertilizer on your lawns?</font color=blue>

Not me, but before I paid $600-$750 annually for someone else to do it, I'd sure be running down to Tractor Supply Co. to buy one./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

BirdSig.jpg

/ Soil Test Results
Which model, or doesn't it matter? Steel or plastic hopper?

tractor.gif

/ Soil Test Results #7  
Mike, the only model Tractor Supply Co. has in their catalog is item #21-18427, but the new catalog doesn't have prices. It (along with the only other ones I've actually seen) is steel. Northern Tool also has one in their catalog, item #250815-C161, that is also steel, about the same size and is priced at $349.99. I might prefer plastic if I could find one; just to ensure against corrosion. If you get one, you do want to be sure and wash it out thoroughly after each use.

BirdSig.jpg

/ Soil Test Results #8  
I got a spreader at TSC that was $349. It is all metal and I have only used seed in it so far. Worked just fine.

Strangely, the gearbox takes grease out of a grease gun and it doesn't say how much to put in there. The manual showed that it had gear oil. I pumped and pumped and finally figured it had enough.

Alan L., TX
South of Bugtussle
North of Mustang
On the banks of Buck Creek

/ Soil Test Results #9  
that calculates to .73 lbs per square foot. Any broadcast spreader will work depends on the size you are planning to apply the materials to.

Dan L

/ Soil Test Results
I have 3.5 acres to do, so I think I'll either hire someone or buy a spreader from TSC and do it myself.

Also, showing my ignorance, what size bag does lime come in?

tractor.gif