Software Upgrade for Two Speed Fan?

/ Software Upgrade for Two Speed Fan? #1  

timm9

Gold Member
Tractor
Toolcat(s) 5600B-Turbo(s)
I was told yesterday (by the Bobcat Tech) that there is a software upgrade for the two speed fan. Has anyone done this? The discussion was regarding my early 05 (dec) 5600 Turbo "B" series. The tech indicated he was not sure I wanted it. I'm assuming that my newer one does not need it?

Timm9

/ Software Upgrade for Two Speed Fan? #2  
timm9,
Just to be clear, what fan are we talking about?

Since you've had your oldest Toolcat just under a year (right?), maybe now is the time to get the software upgrade while there is no question about it being covered under warranty! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have a late-run Summer 2005 5600 Turbo B-series, and am not sure whether or not I need any upgrade. My dealer hasn't mentioned it yet, but thanks for letting us know to ask! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Software Upgrade for Two Speed Fan?
The fan I'm referring to is the two speed fan mounted under the horizontal radiator. As I understand it. The software upgrade tells the fan to run all the time. Currently, the fan only kicks on when the unit reaches a certain temp. My concern is if the upgrade will delay the unit from reaching "warm up" temp. 99% of the time, my unit only operates in snowy/cold temps. I was curious if anyone had done the upgrade and experienced a delay in warm up and heater/defrost operations.

Timm9

/ Software Upgrade for Two Speed Fan? #4  
The last available upgrade (that I am aware of) was made available to the Bobcat Service Techs in mid-February 05. It addressed the cooling fan: "So that the fan start/stop/kick times are based on the coolant temperature and hydraulic temperature of the machine."

Unless you are having overheating issues, I wouldn't make a special trip to the dealer for it. Just remind them to upgrade the service software next time you take your Toolcat into the dealership.

/ Software Upgrade for Two Speed Fan? #5  
I had better clear something up on my post. There have been several other updates since Feb 05, but none, that I can tell, that affected the fan on the Toolcat.

timm09, Normally, in CA we worry more about overheating, whereas you are worrying about underheating. Ignore my post and wait to see if someone with the newest upgrade responds.

There should be a way to tell which version of the software your machine is currently running....... I just don't know how /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.
I will work on that and get back.

Rob.

/ Software Upgrade for Two Speed Fan? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The fan I'm referring to is the two speed fan mounted under the horizontal radiator. As I understand it. The software upgrade tells the fan to run all the time. Currently, the fan only kicks on when the unit reaches a certain temp. My concern is if the upgrade will delay the unit from reaching "warm up" temp. 99% of the time, my unit only operates in snowy/cold temps. I was curious if anyone had done the upgrade and experienced a delay in warm up and heater/defrost operations. Timm9)</font>
Timm9, a number of us are too far south to guide you, but there are TBNers in Canada (mike123, B-series) and northeastern PA (odleefs, C-series) who very recently purchased Toolcats. The revised software guiding their cooling fans likely sets them to run all the time. Any problems with "warm-up temp" delay, guys?

/ Software Upgrade for Two Speed Fan? #7  
It is an upgrade that I have had done and should be done to all toolcats that need it. All "A" series should have it done. Mine was done in my driveway by a tech with a laptop.

It helped my overheating issued dramatically, but not completely.

Mike

/ Software Upgrade for Two Speed Fan? #8  
I was not aware of this but I will ask my guy if it was done to my unit! My toolcat is a B series that was built prior to Feb. 05.
I have had no heating issues and have been running in extreme weather. minus 30 celcius last night.
Mike

/ Software Upgrade for Two Speed Fan? #9  
Timm are you saying the upgrade doesn't let the fan work at all until the unit reaches a certain temp? I don't understand why bobcat would care if it throws cold air for a few minutes which mine currently does?
Mike

/ Software Upgrade for Two Speed Fan?
My first Toolcat (not sure about the new one) fan does not turn until it reaches a certain temp. I thought something was wrong a week or so ago when I had to detach a blower to check motor number on the blower. The guage was in the "green" but evidently the fan was not turning. When (a few minutes later) I re-attached the blower and backed it up I shut of the engine and heard a nasty sound (like the fan hitting the shroud/guard). The tech was here to deliver another blower and I had him check it out. From what I'm told, if the unit does not reach a temp to kick the fan on, upon turning the engine off, the fan spins releasing the pressure and makes the nasty sound.

Timm9