Soft snow plow edges for asphalt

/ Soft snow plow edges for asphalt #11  
I plow my mile long gravel driveway with a VERY heavy rear blade. Just drag it along behind the tractor. Never causes much problem because, like now, my driveway is frozen - hard a concrete.

Many have found, out this way, a blade on the FEL has too much down pressure - even in float. The only other way - big wide shoes on the blade to keep it up off the gravel.

/ Soft snow plow edges for asphalt #12  
This is what I use on mine, it seems to work well. The only problem is it wasn’t tall enough to sandwich between the original cutting edge and the blade. You can’t see it in the picture but I have a cheap metal flat bar on the front to help reinforce it, but it isn’t really sturdy enough.

/ Soft snow plow edges for asphalt #13  
You are finding out the big drawback of a loader mounted plow. Your plow has no float mechanism built into it so you either position the FEL or float the FEL. The geometry of the FEL does not do a good job of floating and adds a bunch of down pressure to the plow (weight of loader arms), hence the edge problem and damage to driveway. You can't just position the FEL because with the undulating surface it will dig in at times.

This is why some people modify the set-up so the plow is more rearward and it has its own float mechanism built in.

This is often exactly the problem with plows mounted directly to the loader. You are not floating just the plow, you are floating the whole loader assembly. Someone posted pictures on here a while ago of their "under slung" snow plow mount. In this set-up, the plow is not rigidly mounted to the loader frame, so the frame can be locked in place, but the plow itself can still float. The lighter floating weight makes it less likely to dig in. It's not a 100% guarantee against asphalt damage, but it does lessen the likelihood. It also slows down the wear on any softer cutting edge you may install. When properly set up, you can still get down pressure on your snowplow when you want it, you just curl forward until you have used up all of the float range in your under slung mount.

Here are a few threads on people who did under slung mounts for their snowplows:

Last edited:
   / Soft snow plow edges for asphalt #14  
Snow and ice are tough to judge . Alot of variables .

/ Soft snow plow edges for asphalt #15  
I wonder if part of the problem is the OP's asphalt driveway. I've used my 1100# Land Pride rear blade on an asphalt driveway with no damage what-so-ever. AND - believe me - the driveway owner was watching VERY closely. It did leave scratch marks where the blade would encounter gravel - but otherwise - nothing.

/ Soft snow plow edges for asphalt #16  
I slit a piece of schedule 40 pipe and put it over the cutting edge. works well, bounces over the gravel parts, doesn't catch the asphalt. once the ground freezes and i plow a path to the bird feeder doesn't dig up the grass either. rock clean up in spring is much easier also.

/ Soft snow plow edges for asphalt
I wonder if part of the problem is the OP's asphalt driveway. I've used my 1100# Land Pride rear blade on an asphalt driveway with no damage what-so-ever. AND - believe me - the driveway owner was watching VERY closely.
Anything is possible. I believe most of the driveway was laid in 1986, but then extended in both directions around 1995. I have it seal-coated every 3rd year.

Never had an issue clearing it with the 54" bucket on my 855 (model 52 loader), but this 72" Frontier plow on the 3033r is noticeably harder on it.

/ Soft snow plow edges for asphalt #18  
I'm back to my annual fight and frustration with plowing my asphalt driveway without destruction.

Equipment: Loader mounted plow (Frontier 72") on Deere 3033R

OEM edge: hardened steel 1/2" x 4" x 72" affixed with 6 carriage bolts

View attachment 770796 View attachment 770797

(Note Woods SB64S has since been sold, didn't really need it for this tractor.)

Ran this plow with factory edge the first year with the factory "inverted mushroom" shoes set to leave the plow 1/4" above the surface. Worked great for removing snow and the ice and slush we so often get in eastern PA, but it absolutely tore the hell out of my previously-smooth driveway. Issue is that we're a little hilly and slopey around here, so while driveway is smooth, it ain't flat. Plow edge would dig into asphalt any place that crowning put the edge on the drive before the shoes. Also had issues with corners of the plow edge digging into asphalt in some of the sloped tight turns.

Switched last year to a 1" x 4" x 72" polyurethane edge, affixed in place using a 1/4" x 2" x 72" stainless bar and the original carriage bolt holes:

View attachment 770802 View attachment 770799

Kept shoes set near that same 1/4" height, and this worked fine for snow, but just skidded over anything frozen. Was a real problem in one or two of our storms where precip alternated between snow and freezing rain (not uncommon, here).

Tried raising shoes to put the rubber hard on the ground, but the rubber just flexed up in-between each bolt location, to where it was wearing quickly at the bolts and leaving ice/sluch between:

View attachment 770803

It just never worked well, although maybe I gave up on it too soon. Adding more bolts might have improved it, but I feared the 1" thick too-soft edge would always just slip over anything frozen, and so it wasn't worth punching more holes in my plow to test that theory.

This year I ordered a 3/4" x 4" x 72" strip of UHMW, which I hope will be a happy compromise. I've heard varying opinions on what to do with the shoes and cutting edge height. I do believe that running completely shoe-less might be a good way to break the UHMW edge off if I hit anything less than flat (like the hard seam between my driveway and street), so that's probably not worth trying.

Am I on the right track? How do you folks run your skid shoes with UHMW edges?

Driveway is glassy smooth asphalt topcoated every 3rd year for decades. It's lumpy, it has some cracks, but it slippy smooth. Street (which I also plow across at end of my driveway) is oiled chipped every 3rd year so about as rough and abrasive a surface as you'll ever encounter. Think the asphalt version of coarse sandpaper.
On mine, I got a 1/2" UHMW strip I bought of Amazon 6 years ago, and it's still going strong. Mounted on my plow with the wear bar acting as the backer plate for it. No marks on my blacktop from it. And 6 years in, although it's worn some, I've yet to need to flip it over to the other side.

/ Soft snow plow edges for asphalt
Great. This is what I was hoping to hear. By "wear bar", do you mean the narrower steel bar that carries the carriage bolts? If so, I did the same with mine, similar to what I had on the polyurethane edge in the OP.

/ Soft snow plow edges for asphalt #20  
Great. This is what I was hoping to hear. By "wear bar", do you mean the narrower steel bar that carries the carriage bolts? If so, I did the same with mine, similar to what I had on the polyurethane edge in the OP.
Yessir. My plow was originally for my craftsman garden tractor. I converted it a few yrs back to work on my tractor. Here's a vid: