Soda Fountain glassware and stuff...

/ Soda Fountain glassware and stuff... #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
The wife and I used to collect soda fountain memorabilia and over the years have collected hundreds of soda, malt, banana split, etc. glasses. Also have several ice cream dippers, malt mixer, ice cream spoons, ice cream servers (serving glasses, shaped like an ice cream cone used in hoity toity places), napkin holder, and so forth. It it taking up a lot of space and we are thinking about selling all or most of it. Most is run-of-the-mill stuff that shows use; some undoubtedly is reproduction stuff and some is, I believe, fairly rare. Here's my question:

How would be the best way to go about selling this stuff? Ebay? Craig's List? I intend to get it all out, do an inventory and take lots of pictures. I know shipping would be a chore; lots of packaging, but it could be done...and don't particularly care for a lot of "lookers" coming to the house unless they are serious. The value is not tremendous, maybe a couple thousand dollars at most, but I don't want to give it away...unless I donate it to a museum or a church or some such.

Thanks in advance;
Dennis

/ Soda Fountain glassware and stuff... #2  
I don't have a clue how you would go about selling it but that sounds like a neat hobby. :cool:

/ Soda Fountain glassware and stuff... #3  
My wife and I are faced with the same dilema..we have collections of really old sheets of music , dishes, bottles etc....we are thinking ebay....I have sold a few things on ebay over the years and have had a good experience ...the shipping is critical....you want to pack it so idiots can't break it in shipping...I think the USPS is the best and let the buyer pay...boxes can be had from your post office...I think.. Let me know what you find out and I'll do the same since we are faced with the same challenge..

/ Soda Fountain glassware and stuff... #4  
EBay is the best wah to go. Its a bit more work setting as h item up, tracking and shipping but it keep the nut jobs on craigslist from coming to your house.

/ Soda Fountain glassware and stuff... #5  
EBay is the best way to go. Its a bit more work setting as h item up, tracking and shipping but it keep the nut jobs on craigslist from coming to your house. I could not agree more. You will find a bigger audience for what your selling. Try to make the auction end on a Sunday night 7-8ish, instead of a Friday or Sat night.

/ Soda Fountain glassware and stuff... #6  
You'll get exactly what the item is worth selling it on eBay, if you do a few things.

Know what you're selling. Research your pieces. if it's rare, know it's rare. if it's reproduction, sell it as reproduction.

Take lots of really good photos. Work on a seamless background. Avoid on-camera flash, if possible. Bigger is better.

Write clear, authoritative descriptions. Fluff doesn't work with real collectors. Explain what you've got and be honest about condition.

Your customers will be delighted if you do the following:

Publish out-of-focus pictures. Write 3 word descriptions. Ignore condition.

The bidding will go nowhere and the person who takes a chance on a low bid will get your valuable item for next to nothing.