So, what's the problem with Troy-Bilt tillers?

/ So, what's the problem with Troy-Bilt tillers? #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
From MTD. Everyone bashes them, but not much talk about why. Specifically, why would one discourage another from buying a new machine from Troy-Bilt? Engines by Briggs & Stratton...pretty easy to buy parts for that. MTD sells the tiller parts and they can be had online by other vendors as well. Just wondering. Thanks.

/ So, what's the problem with Troy-Bilt tillers? #2  
From my observations, the current Troy-Bilt Horse model is pretty much the same time tested design that it has always been. Same for the Pony models I think. Good machines as far as I am concerned.

/ So, what's the problem with Troy-Bilt tillers? #4  
I got a friend who bought one a few years ago and it's the bomb. I would buy one myself if I needed one.

/ So, what's the problem with Troy-Bilt tillers? #5  
GreenRules said:
From MTD. Everyone bashes them, but not much talk about why. Specifically, why would one discourage another from buying a new machine from Troy-Bilt? Engines by Briggs & Stratton...pretty easy to buy parts for that. MTD sells the tiller parts and they can be had online by other vendors as well. Just wondering. Thanks.

Other than no availability of Kohler Command engines, the Pony, Horse and Big Red models seem to be the same as before, but there's also newer counter-rotating tine (CRT) models, some with the Pro-Line name. Troybilt didn't build CRT tillers prior to MTD, as far as I know...

The new Troybilt products that have NO relationship to the old ones are the wood chippers -- MTD did not get rights to the "old-reliable" Troybilt Tomahawk chippers for some reason, and everything sold today as a Troybilt is really an MTD product...

/ So, what's the problem with Troy-Bilt tillers? #6  

Go use the Troy Bilt horse, or whatever the best TB has now, then go use the 732 BCS or up series, use them both for a good preiod of time, then you won't have to ask the question. I don't know how to explain the difference, I've used both, it's like comparing the handling of a Model A Ford to a BMW.

/ So, what's the problem with Troy-Bilt tillers? #7  
milkman said:

Go use the Troy Bilt horse, or whatever the best TB has now, then go use the 732 BCS or up series, use them both for a good preiod of time, then you won't have to ask the question. I don't know how to explain the difference, I've used both, it's like comparing the handling of a Model A Ford to a BMW.
And you're be comparing the price of a Ford to the price of a BMW also... ;) ;)

/ So, what's the problem with Troy-Bilt tillers? #8  
KentT said:
Other than no availability of Kohler Command engines, the Pony, Horse and Big Red models seem to be the same as before, but there's also newer counter-rotating tine (CRT) models, some with the Pro-Line name. Troybilt didn't build CRT tillers prior to MTD, as far as I know...
My advice, born of experience, is to stay far away from the counter-rotating tine (CRT) models. I bought a troybilt CRT pony last year and I HATE, HATE, HATE it. In fact a neighbor borrowed it a few weeks ago, tried to use it, and immediately returned it.

The good news is the engine starts and runs like a dream. The bad news is the wheels on my model are too thin and the weight too little for it to have much traction. With the tines rotating in the opposite direction of the wheels, the tiller does not move by itself. It will literally just sit there, spinning the tines and spinning the wheels and not going anywhere. To move it you have to push it and heft it down the row. I'm going to have a hard time selling this POS with a straight face.

If I had to do it again I would buy, on order of preference, a tiller for my tractor, a BCS (very, very cool), or a forward-rotating horse model (which weighs more).

/ So, what's the problem with Troy-Bilt tillers? #9  
lopezian said:
My advice, born of experience, is to stay far away from the counter-rotating tine (CRT) models. I bought a troybilt CRT pony last year and I HATE, HATE, HATE it.

Now, before you read anything I write about tillers I just want to say that I have almost zero, zip, nada, experience or knowledge about any tiller except the 7' tiller for my tractor. With that in mind, I just spent several weeks fretting about what tiller to buy. The thread is on here somewhere. As it turned out, I nearly waited too long in the year to get one for my wife's garden. So, in order to stay married, I went out and bought one of the relatively cheap Cub Cadet tillers at Home Depot. It has a Honda engine on it, a 3 year warranty, and the tines turn either way.

I tilled up a garden for my wife with that little tiller with surprising ease considering the rock hard clay soil we have in this draught. If I tried to use it with the tines turning ahead, it literally ran away from me! :eek: With the tines in reverse, it tilled 8" deep without much trouble. The tires were spinning the whole time, but all I had to do was lift up on the handle bars just a tad and it would walk right ahead no problem. The only annoying thing was turning it around at the end of each run. Without any differential, I had to just drag it around 180. It has reverse, but all that does is make the tiller try to run me over. :eek: All in all, I had to admit that despite my huge reservation of buying anything from Cub Cadet, the little tiller works great for my modest garden needs.

Next year I'll just drop my 7' tiller 12" deep and make a couple of passes and have the garden all ready to go while sitting in the comfort of my cab in 10 minutes or less. The little 5.5 hp Cub tiller will be used just to weed the garden after it's already up and going.

/ So, what's the problem with Troy-Bilt tillers? #10  
Dargo said:
If I tried to use it with the tines turning ahead, it literally ran away from me! :eek: With the tines in reverse, it tilled 8" deep without much trouble. The tires were spinning the whole time, but all I had to do was lift up on the handle bars just a tad and it would walk right ahead no problem.

Is this the model you bought? And you say the times can rotate forward OR reverse? That sounds very cool - I wish mine could do that. The tines on mine only operate in the opposite direction from the wheels.

http://www.cubcadet.com/wcsstore/pics/CubCadet/21AB455C710_prod_lg.jpghttp://www.cubcadet.com/wcsstore/pics/CubCadet/21AB455C710_prod_lg.jpg

It looks like about the same HP as the troybilt I bought, but the tires look wider. Maybe that makes a difference. All I know is that in loose soil, the troybilt CRT builds up debris between the tines and the wheels and you have to constantly help it forward. It really is pretty good when breaking up sod, but after that, it is the worst.

Last edited: