So, speaking of stump grapples...

/ So, speaking of stump grapples... #1  

Missouri Pioneer

Gold Member
Tractor
LS U5030C w/FEL
In another grapple thread moments ago, I mentioned that I was now considering buying a stump grapple, perhaps next year. I may not look further than this EXT. STUMP GRAPPLE W/TEETH SKIDSTEER ATTACHMENT | eBay or its little brother since I'm so pleased with my 48" grapple from WildKat.

I know they have have a smaller one for $600 (I haven't yet learned or considered what each weighs yet, certainly a major factor), but one reason I "need" one is to dig a 38" trench for underground electric service. That brings me to the point.

Watching Everything Attachment's video of the stump grapple in action, it's used on a skid steer and boy, can it do the job. Bottom line: how well do these things do attached to a CUT?

I foresee my uses as being stump removal, trenching, and digging some holes.

/ So, speaking of stump grapples... #2  
There is so much overlap between a grapple and a stump grapple that I would not get the second if I had the first. To dig a trench you can either use a subsoiler/middle buster or just a stump bucket. Or, rent a miniexcavator for a day. Better yet, put the $$$ towards a backhoe attachment. Depending on how long the trench needs to be, another option is to get a set of proper QA forks and a fork shovel attachment. Always nice to have a set of forks.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    355.8 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0116smallfile.jpg
    IMG_0116smallfile.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0111smallfile.jpg
    IMG_0111smallfile.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0105smallfile.jpg
    IMG_0105smallfile.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 176
   / So, speaking of stump grapples...
A backhoe is big bucks. I'll need to dig about a 200' trench. It looks like a stump bucket can dig out a heck of a lot more dirt than a fork shovel. At WildKat, the difference between a stump bucket and a grapple stump bucket is about $100 and for that it's worth it to me to not have to change back and forth from the stump bucket and the grapple. Those are my thoughts, but I could be wrong.

/ So, speaking of stump grapples... #4  
At WildKat, the difference between a stump bucket and a grapple stump bucket is about $100 and for that it's worth it to me to not have to change back and forth from the stump bucket and the grapple. Those are my thoughts, but I could be wrong.

Wildcat is way over charging for the stump bucket. I can get one locally for $350. It is a very simple device. Buy at SS bracket and take that to a local welding shop with a photograph of what you want them to add. Basically they just need to supply a 4x4 sheet of 5/16 mild steel, do some cutting, do about a dozen welds and add some teeth. Really could be done by a home welder with a 220V welder and plasma cutter in a couple of afternoons.

/ So, speaking of stump grapples... #5  
There is so much overlap between a grapple and a stump grapple that I would not get the second if I had the first. To dig a trench you can either use a subsoiler/middle buster or just a stump bucket. Or, rent a miniexcavator for a day. Better yet, put the $$$ towards a backhoe attachment. Depending on how long the trench needs to be, another option is to get a set of proper QA forks and a fork shovel attachment. Always nice to have a set of forks.

Where did you get the quick spade?

That is tempting... I've got a used set of forks I'm considering right now...

/ So, speaking of stump grapples... #6  
In another grapple thread moments ago, I mentioned that I was now considering buying a stump grapple, perhaps next year. I may not look further than this EXT. STUMP GRAPPLE W/TEETH SKIDSTEER ATTACHMENT | eBay or its little brother since I'm so pleased with my 48" grapple from WildKat.

I know they have have a smaller one for $600 (I haven't yet learned or considered what each weighs yet, certainly a major factor), but one reason I "need" one is to dig a 38" trench for underground electric service. That brings me to the point.

Watching Everything Attachment's video of the stump grapple in action, it's used on a skid steer and boy, can it do the job. Bottom line: how well do these things do attached to a CUT?

I foresee my uses as being stump removal, trenching, and digging some holes.

That is a BEAUTY!

David

/ So, speaking of stump grapples... #7  
Where did you get the quick spade?

That is tempting... I've got a used set of forks I'm considering right now...

I recall I got it from Northern Tool but you can just google quick spade and you'll find the company.

It is very useful for small digging projects. Works about ten times faster than I can with a shovel but is no where near as efficient as a BH. I think it makes a lot of sense for anyone with a QA set of forks. I have a BH too but use the quick shovel for some quick jobs and also to dig underneath something in front of me which a BH cannot do.

/ So, speaking of stump grapples...
Island, a comparable grapple stump bucket at Everything Attachments is $2615 !! Without the grapple, $1233 !

/ So, speaking of stump grapples... #9  
Island, a comparable grapple stump bucket at Everything Attachments is $2615 !! Without the grapple, $1233 !

To dig a 200 foot trench you don't need a heavy duty skidsteer stump grapple. A basic 5/16" stump bucket can be had for way less money and will do the job every bit as well.

I know there are expensive heavy duty versions out there but those are intended for professional landscapers and are way overbuilt for the purpose you are describing. Ideally you would be able to run a subsoiler along the trench area a few times and then use a simple light duty stump bucket to remove the spoils. You really should not have to spend more than $500-700 for that set of tools. The alternative to my mind would be to just rent a miniexcavator or BX24 for a weekend. Should make the job go real fast.