So looking at a new trailer...how big?

/ So looking at a new trailer...how big? #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
I'm so confused now...thought I used to know the numbers for being under CDL but never heard of this 10k limit for the towed vehicle before.

Just so I'm not already illegal. If I have a 7k tow vehicle, a 5k trailer, with a 7.5k load my total weight is 19.5k so I am under the 26k threshold and okay? Or have I been driving illegally every time I move my tractor?

I'm very confused about the 10k limited for towed vehicles I guess is my issue and google isn't helping me at all.

/ So looking at a new trailer...how big? #2  
I'm so confused now...thought I used to know the numbers for being under CDL but never heard of this 10k limit for the towed vehicle before.

Just so I'm not already illegal. If I have a 7k tow vehicle, a 5k trailer, with a 7.5k load my total weight is 19.5k so I am under the 26k threshold and okay? Or have I been driving illegally every time I move my tractor?

I'm very confused about the 10k limited for towed vehicles I guess is my issue and google isn't helping me at all.
First off.....are you actually commercial.

The C in CDL is for commercial. I dont know the laws in all states or how they are enforced....but often times personal use is exempt. Personal, Farming, RV's, etc.

Now regarding the Three CDL classes.....its NOT (I repeat) its NOT the weight of the vehicle. Rather its the weight RATING.

Look at your truck. Inside the door it should list the GVWR. Your trailer will also have a GVWR.

If the combination of those two RATINGS exceed 26k....then that is CDL.

The trailer being under or over 10k only makes a difference determining whether a class A or a class B is required.

Example.....if your have a 1-ton dually with a GVWR of 14k (even though the truck only weighs 8k) and a 14k trailer (even though you only load it to 9k)....the sum of the GVWR's exceed the 26k threshhold and a CDL is required. Since the trailer is over 10k (rating) that is a class A.

Example: if you drive a F450 truck with a 16.5k GVWR and hook it to a trailer rated at 9990 GVWR the sum still exceeds 26k....however since the trailer is rated under 10k....only a CDL class B is requried.

So quite simply, what is the GVWR of the truck and what is the GVWR of the trailer

/ So looking at a new trailer...how big?
So I do not have a CDL, poorly worded. Should have said non-cdl.

Okay so my GVWR on my truck is 10k and the trailer is 12k I'm good without a CDL unless I load the trailer up to 10,001# or have an exemption from my state, is that correct?

/ So looking at a new trailer...how big? #4  
New York and California have their own special/additional rules, but I believe the following applies for all the other states including Georgia:

TERMS:
GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - the maximum weight the vehicle can legally weigh; this number is found inside the driver door on the truck and somewhere on or near the tongue of the trailer.
GVW = Gross Vehicle Weight - the actual weight of the truck or trailer; if this exceeds the GVWR you can get a ticket for being over-loaded
GCWR = Gross Combined Weight Rating - the sum of the truck GVWR and the trailer GVWR

Actual weights have nothing to do with CDL requirements (obviously if you overload your truck or trailer [GVWR] there are other issues). In all cases, if your GCWR is ≤26,000 pounds, you do not need a CDL. If your GCWR is 26,001 or greater but your trailer is ≤10,000 pounds then you also do not need a CDL. EXAMPLE: F550 with GVWR=19,500 pounds pulling a trailer with GVWR=10,000 pounds exceeds the 26k number but because the trailer is less than 10,001 GVWR no CDL is needed.

In your case I assume your 7k tow vehicle has a GVWR of 9k to 10k and your trailer is likely a 14k GVWR since it weights 5k empty which gives you a GCWR of ~24k and no CDL is needed.

/ So looking at a new trailer...how big?
EXAMPLE: F550 with GVWR=19,500 pounds pulling a trailer with GVWR=10,000 pounds exceeds the 26k number but because the trailer is less than 10,001 GVWR no CDL is needed.
Okay, that makes more sense.

/ So looking at a new trailer...how big? #6  
So I do not have a CDL, poorly worded. Should have said non-cdl.

Okay so my GVWR on my truck is 10k and the trailer is 12k I'm good without a CDL unless I load the trailer up to 10,001# or have an exemption from my state, is that correct?

Close, you can acutally load your trailer to its full rating of 12k as your GCWR is only 22k. With your 10k truck you could get a 16k gooseneck (two 8k axles) and load the trailer to its full 16k weight (as long as you do not overload your truck with tongue weight) and not need a CDL because your GCWR is exactly 26,000 pounds (requirement kicks in at 26,001).

CDL requirements will never be triggered by how much you load on your trailer. Either the trailer has a GVWR high enough that a CDL is required or it does not.

/ So looking at a new trailer...how big? #7  

The C in CDL is for commercial. I dont know the laws in all states or how they are enforced....but often times personal use is exempt. Personal, Farming, RV's, etc.

Now regarding the Three CDL classes.....its NOT (I repeat) its NOT the weight of the vehicle. Rather its the weight RATING.

Look at your truck. Inside the door it should list the GVWR. Your trailer will also have a GVWR.

The trailer being under or over 10k only makes a difference determining whether a class A or a class B is required.

Example.....if your have a 1-ton dually with a GVWR of 14k (even though the truck only weighs 8k) and a 14k trailer (even though you only load it to 9k)....the sum of the GVWR's exceed the 26k threshhold and a CDL is required. Since the trailer is over 10k (rating) that is a class A.

Example: if you drive a F450 truck with a 16.5k GVWR and hook it to a trailer rated at 9990 GVWR the sum still exceeds 26k....however since the trailer is rated under 10k....only a CDL class B is requried.

So quite simply, what is the GVWR of the truck and what is the GVWR of the trailer
I see you live in central Ohio (as do I) are you sure that is law in Ohio?

/ So looking at a new trailer...how big? #8  

Example: if you drive a F450 truck with a 16.5k GVWR and hook it to a trailer rated at 9990 GVWR the sum still exceeds 26k....however since the trailer is rated under 10k....only a CDL class B is requried. Incorrect - No CDL is required for this combination.

I see LD1 responded while I was typing. This is overall a great explanation with a minor mis-understanding related to Class B CDL requirements.

Class B can most easily be thought of as large straight trucks and is required for vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more (provided they are not towing a trailer with GVWR 10,001 pounds or greater).

EXAMPLES: A F650 typically has a GVWR=24k or 26k. No CDL is needed to drive just the truck, and no CDL is needed to two a trailer up to GVWR = 10,000 pounds. Towing a trailer with GVWR = 10,001 pounds (typical 12k or 14k trailer) will require a Class A CDL because the GVWR is >26,000 pounds and the trailer GVWR is >10,000 pounds.

An F750 typically has a GVWR = 33k. This requires a Class B CDL to drive the truck empty or to tow a trailer up to GVWR = 10,000 pounds. Towing a trailer with GVWR = 10,001 pounds (typical 12k or 14k trailer) will bump the required CDL to a Class A because the GVWR is obviously >26,000 pounds and the trailer GVWR is >10,000 pounds.

/ So looking at a new trailer...how big? #9  
Got my class A over 30 years ago and Im so glad I did.

/ So looking at a new trailer...how big? #10  
See how confusing it is.

Depending on what states article comes up....or what independent website interpreted the law.

State laws can supersede federal. But in a nutshell

Class A is a COMBINATION. Meaning a truck + trailer. And if that combination of GVWR's is over 26,001 and the trailer makes up more than 10k of that....then its a class A

Class B is just a truck over 26,001. OR....any truck over 26,001 with a trailer as long as trailer is under 10k

But I have seen several articles indicate that a combined truck + trailer rating but the trailer still is under 10k still needs a CDL. Which by federal standards wouldnt fall into either class A or B. Like my example above or rancher Ed's example of a F650 towing a 9k trailer. The combined gross is over 26k....but just the truck alone isnt so it dont fit class B description by the feds. ANd the trailer isnt over 10k so it also dont belong in class A.

In any case....for the OP, a 10k truck with a 12k trailer is good to go for anyone with a standard drivers license to tow around