So I did a thing... Agria 8900D

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #11  
   / So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #12  
I can’t tell from the pictures but are there hard valve seats in that head or a shallow hard surface coating for the valve seats? Curious if engine shop would attempt to repair damage like that.

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D
Here's a head complete with valve assemblies that's listed for a Lombardini 4LD820 for 390 euros ships from Italy:

Yes, I saw that one and I believe even another one cheaper, although, without valves, springs, retainers, etc. It's an unknown quality head, so I would like to save the original one if possible, but that's definitely in my plan list.

I can’t tell from the pictures but are there hard valve seats in that head or a shallow hard surface coating for the valve seats? Curious if engine shop would attempt to repair damage like that.

It does have hard seats for the valves. Hopefully this week I'll check with the shop whether this head is salvageable or not.

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #14  
This will be fun to watch. You didn't tell us what you paid for it.

This will be fun to watch. You didn't tell us what you paid for it.
Forgot about it. €500, about $550? Was it a bad deal? Maybe. Still haven't dug into both front and rear halves of the transmission.

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #16  
Wheels and tiller are worth that.

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #17  
That will be nice once you get it going. Look forward to seeing it run again.

Got most of the engine parts cleaned and also oiled the parts that may get prone to rust as I don't know long this engine will sit before it gets put back together. Hopefully not too long.

Found out the piston actually hit the head at one point, probably a big part of the issue actually. The head gasket, really just a copper washer, is too thin along with missing a couple shims between the liner and the block. I've been noticing quite a few signs that there was an attempt to rebuild the engine without having really a clue on how to do it.

Also, the flywheel sheared the woodruff key. There was a lot of inertia going around when this thing let go.

IMG_20231218_124304.jpg
IMG_20231218_171412.jpg

IMG_20231218_171316.jpg
IMG_20231218_171603.jpg

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #19  
Hopefully that's the extent of it.

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #20  
Since Piston hit the head and valve are you sure the crank or connecting rod are not damaged. Like you stated a whole lot of inertia to shear that flywheel key and drive that valve stem through the head, break piston skirt, etc.