/ Snowmachines on Private land #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
   / Snowmachines on Private land #2  
Trespassing for the riders
Assault for the property owner.
It's a wash, I'd let it go. The only winners will be the lawyers if it goes that far.

/ Snowmachines on Private land #3  
Been here 32 years and NEVER had anybody use my land with out asking. That's just the way folks are in this part of the country. Besides there are times - like now in the spring when anything on the land leaves ruts and again in the fall when it dry as popcorn - when I will not let people use my land.

Its good this did not happen in Alaska - there a trespasser can be shot by the property owner. Trespass was the same as breaking & entering with intent to do bodily harm. That was way back in the '70's and before - may not be that way now that all the "civilized" folks have moved there. That's the reason I left - - to many "civilized folks" moving in.

/ Snowmachines on Private land #4  
Maybe shouldn't have smacked the guy - but - would you have confronted trespassers without carrying protection? I say no charges for the land owner.

/ Snowmachines on Private land #5  
Gotta wonder if that farmer was at his "limit" because he enjoys being riled (this seems to gaining popularity) or mental problems & can't control his temper,

Or just a normal guy who jumps out of his truck and starts kicking and hitting, and holding a gun too. Thats what worries me about my buddys carrying handguns, if one of them pulled it out in a situation like that I'd really s…t some bricks. But if that guy shot first I'd hope somebody was armed (and skilled too).

In this case nobody went home feet-first.

/ Snowmachines on Private land #6  
I'm cool with sleds, if they want to pass through and not disrupt the household, by all means, enjoy yourself.. Things that tear up the property I'm more bothered by, but sleds.. Have fun, and stop in to say hi.. pretty simple for me.

/ Snowmachines on Private land #7  
In my opinion, anybody that thinks being riled by confronting trespassers is fun or popular or anything else pleasant, needs to be involved in a situation such as this. Then you let us know how it made you feel.

/ Snowmachines on Private land #8  
No charges on land owner..its up to the riders know not land owner to teach.

/ Snowmachines on Private land #9  
The landowner could have taken the sleds keys and hold them till the police arrive and fine the snowmobilers.
Or get the sleds license/registration and turn them in for trespass
What this landowner did was assault.

Last edited:
   / Snowmachines on Private land #10  
The landowner could have taken the sleds keys and hold them till the police arrive and fine the snowmobilers.
Or get the sleds license/registration and turn them in for trespass
What this landowner did was assault.

No that would have got him in big trouble, even more because would have to intimidate them with the gun to detain them or to get the keys. That could land him in jail. I'm not sure you can detain anybody or hit them, especially on a public road.

He could take pictures though, and pictures of the sled tracks where they were trespassing would be more prudent, but this guy wasn't prudent, he was awful close to having to find somebody to feed his livestock.

This is where you like the snowmobiles that have a reverse - get out of buckshot range!