snowblower on my 425 does not throw snow very well

/ snowblower on my 425 does not throw snow very well #1  

philbonnie

Tractor
the two stage snow blower on my john deere 425 does not throw the snow like i would expect it to. my little Husqvarna throws it a lot farther. this is a shaft drive two stage john deere 47" M01471X092494 snow blower

/ snowblower on my 425 does not throw snow very well #2  
Some blowers work better than others, and snow depth and moisture will have a significant impact on operation.
That said, ensuring that the rpm's are correct to the blower, you could also check the clearance between the fan blades and housing. Some folks add thick rubber to the fan edges to close a gap, which should result in better throwing.
You could also confirm that no shear bolts are sheared, and that the auger halves are moving snow into the fan.

/ snowblower on my 425 does not throw snow very well #3  
I had the same problem using the 47" on my F-935 front mower. 'Turns' out, the PTO rpm from the 935 is not high enough because it also needs the pto revereser gearbox. I apparently have the gas engine reverser, not the diesel version. Needs to be a step up.
Believe me, a broom is the way to go for a few inches of snow on a hard surface driveway. Plow is best overall if you don't need to clear sidewalks.

/ snowblower on my 425 does not throw snow very well #4  
the two stage snow blower on my john deere 425 does not throw the snow like i would expect it to. my little Husqvarna throws it a lot farther. this is a shaft drive two stage john deere 47" M01471X092494 snow blower
I had that same setup about 30 years ago. You're right, throwing distance wasn't anything to brag about. I had a few spots than I had to blow 3" of heavy snow twice to get the snow where I wanted it. Light & fluffy was easy to move.

Although it didn't blow far, I was content. It was my best option at the time.

/ snowblower on my 425 does not throw snow very well #5  
When snow is very wet, I through kitty litter on driveway to dry it out. Usually takes about 10 bags or so...

/ snowblower on my 425 does not throw snow very well #6  
What engine rpm are you running your snowblower at ? Make sure the rpms are at max before redline.
I,ve got a dumb neighbour that insists on running his snowblower at half the proper speed. When watching him blow snow, I can actually see the pulses of snow coming out the shoot. I,m amazed he hasn,t snapped the crank from lugging the engine so bad.

Last edited:
   / snowblower on my 425 does not throw snow very well #7  

John Deere 425​

John Deere 425 lawn tractor photo
1992 - 2001
400 Series
Garden tractor
Garden tractor
Engine Detail
Kawasaki FD620D
gasoline
2-cylinder
liquid-cooled horizontal-shaft V-twin
Power20 hp
14.9 kW

the two stage snow blower on my john deere 425 does not throw the snow like I expect it to.

Your Deere 425 probably had about 15 horsepower at the PTO when new. Not enough engine power to throw snow far.

How recently has the engine of this tractor been tuned up?

Last edited:
   / snowblower on my 425 does not throw snow very well #8  
I had a 3-point blower on my Ford 1700 4WD. I would get up EARLY in the morning when it was the coldest outside. The snow would be either soft and fluffy or frozen and crunchy.

Either condition was superior for moving the snow with the blower. I would not attempt to blow snow if it was wet. This, most usually, ended up in frustration.

/ snowblower on my 425 does not throw snow very well #9  
My 1995 cub cadet 1641 16 hp Briggs & Stratton, with a 45 inch blower. Throws the snow farther than my brand new x739 John Deere with a 25 hp Kawasaki 54 inch blower. And I am using them in the same type of snow for some reason John Deere just does not throw as far as some of the other blowers. It does throw it far enough however so I don’t have any problems but for the money I paid, I would expect it to throw just a little farther than 20 to 25 feet.

Attachments

• IMG_1305.jpeg
    IMG_1305.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
   / snowblower on my 425 does not throw snow very well #10  
I use a 50 hp skidsteer with a blower.

The blower performance obviously depends on how wet the snow is.

With normal to wetter snow, the first path using the full blower width I just have to go slower. After the first path is opened, I usually just use half of the blower width in order to get it to blow the snow farther away.

Wetter snow will clog it pretty frequently. It’s quicker to take the blower off and just use the bucket when the snow is heavy.